View Full Version : Best way to contact Moto to get the latest ROM??

ZooKeeper
12-29-2004, 10:16 PM
I received what I asked for for the Holidays, an MPx220. I have a family relative who works for Moto and was able to purchase it thru his EPP for someone else to give the phone to me. I figured it was safe to buy one now since I've been reading about the 1.3 ROM, especially buying it directly from the source, Moto. Well, I was wrong and the phone came with the .342 ROM...

Anyways, I need the best way to contact Moto so I can arrange to have the phone sent in to get it flashed up as I've read about other people doing on this board.

I tried calling the 800 number located in the user manual, but it just takes you in loops and I couldn't find a way to talk to a real person. If someone could give me a phone number or an e-mail address so i can talk to someone about getting my phone fixed, that would be great.

Thanks for any help provided...

little john
12-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Call moto's 800 number and when you get into the voice loop where you say 1,2,3 etc for what u want say "operator" and it will give u a person.

HTH,
lj

Mike Temporale
12-30-2004, 02:28 AM
I haven't heard of anyone getting a new ROM version from Moto directly.

Does the phone have Cingular branding on it?

ZooKeeper
12-30-2004, 05:34 AM
The phone does have Cingular branding, but I am a T-Mobile customer.

Jerry Raia
12-30-2004, 07:46 AM
I get the feeling Moto would probably deny they even made the MPx220.

Mike Temporale
12-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Your best bet would be to contact Cingular directly for a replacement. That's what a lot of other T-Mobile users have reported doing. After all, it is a Cingular phone.

Kris Kumar
12-30-2004, 02:49 PM
If you are a Cingular customer - life is easy - contact Cingular for replacement.

If not. If the phone was purchased at Best Buy - bug them for replacement.

If not. Contact Moto customer support. :-( You will have to mail your phone. They will upgrade and send it back to you in 10-14 days.

ZooKeeper
12-30-2004, 08:09 PM
I just got off the phone with Cingular, they told me to Contact Moto and gave me a different number than what the MPx220's user guide has. I'll be calling them in just a few minutes...

ZooKeeper
12-30-2004, 08:28 PM
ok, so, Cingular referred me to moto, which was a different number then the user guide, but took me to the same place, I used the operator voice command and spoke to a human. The human then referred me to 2 local service centers. The first number she gave me was disconnected, the other has very Short hours but they told me to bring the phone in... I won't be able to take it in until Jan 2nd, so I'll let you guys know how it all goes after that...

Kris Kumar
12-30-2004, 09:07 PM
I think they have the National Service Center where you can mail the phone.

The local service centers I thought were just collection points or drop off points. They save you the mailing cost. But I believe increase the processing time.

Well...feel sorry for you...all I can say is that every single MPx220 has gone thru some kind of hassle..in most cases twice. Hope that makes you feel good. ;-) Don't give up hope. It is a nice phone. Moto just messed it up big time.

If only they had made the update available online...sigh. :cry:

ZooKeeper
12-31-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm not giving up, nor am i getting frustrated or anything of that nature. the phone calls to cingular, moto and the service center only took me about 15 minutes during my hour long lunch at work, no big deal...

Kris Kumar
12-31-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm not giving up, nor am i getting frustrated or anything of that nature. the phone calls to cingular, moto and the service center only took me about 15 minutes during my hour long lunch at work, no big deal...

Way to go...

I believe you are the first one on our forum to have positive attitude towards this whole deal. ;-)

Jerry Raia
12-31-2004, 09:13 PM

Way to go...

I believe you are the first one on our forum to have positive attitude towards this whole deal. ;-)

The day is still young :lol:

ZooKeeper
01-04-2005, 04:59 AM
So, I went to this "Service Center" today handed my phone over and was told that it would take 15 minutes to do the firmware upgrade. OK great, sounds good right? Wrong. I waited for an hour using my entire lunch break at this place leaving with my phone and the same old firmware it had when I brought it in.

Why you ask?

The technician had problems downloading the firmware from Moto's website in order to flash it up. They took my name and number and told me they would call when they had the file they needed so I could go back and have the phone flashed up.

Not later than 5 minutes after I returned to my office, the place calls me and tells me they have the file and are ready to perform the upgrade. Unfortunately the place closes at 5 PM which is the same time I leave the office.

Tomorrow is another day, we'll see if they putter around again tomorrow when I bring my phone in or if they were smart enough to keep the file for when I return tomorrow...

Jerry Raia
01-04-2005, 05:33 AM
I can't wait to see how this turns out.

PPCMD
01-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I just don't understand why they are not sending the files to their service centers to begin with.

Mike Temporale
01-04-2005, 02:18 PM
I just don't understand why they are not sending the files to their service centers to begin with.

If you put them up on a internal web site, then you can ensure that the latest version can be found easily. If they send the files out to each service center, then it becomes a mess once there is a newer version. How can you make sure that the repair guys grab the right file? This way, they're told go here, run this and they will always have the newest version.

It's really the best way to do it. The only flaw is that it requires staff to know where to look. :wink:

Jerry Raia
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Actually the best way to get the update from them might be to just call them on the MPx220. You won't be able to hear them and they wont be able to hear you. They might get the idea with the help of caller ID that you need the new ROM. :lol:

ZooKeeper
01-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, I just came back from the "Service Center." Today they were having computer problems and had me sit and wait for 1.25 hours. Good news though, I left with my MPx220 with ROM version 1.3. They had the nerve to charge me $15 after making me wait over 2 hours between yesterday and today to perform the flash.

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, I just came back from the "Service Center." Today they were having computer problems and had me sit and wait for 1.25 hours. Good news though, I left with my MPx220 with ROM version 1.3. They had the nerve to charge me $15 after making me wait over 2 hours between yesterday and today to perform the flash.

They charged you???? Unbelievable.

Kris Kumar
01-05-2005, 01:29 AM

They charged you???? Unbelievable.

Moto has to make money someplace..and cover the losses. ;-)

Jerry Raia
01-05-2005, 01:55 AM
:lol: You go that right Kris though I must say they could use a bit of positive PR right now.