View Full Version : T-Mobile USA Sees High-Speed Network 2 Years Off

Kris Kumar
12-13-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7044205' target='_blank'>http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7044205</a><br /><br /></div><i>"T-Mobile USA, the U.S. wireless unit of Deutsche Telekom AG, does not expect to offer broadband mobile data services for at least the next two years, its chief executive said on Thursday. CEO Robert Dotson said T-Mobile USA, the fourth- biggest U.S. mobile provider, would delay building a high-speed network based on a technology known as UMTS until it has enough wireless airwaves to support such a service. "I don't see that happening in the next two years," said Dotson at a CSFB investor conference. He did not give a specific time plan for the services, but noted that T-Mobile USA has a 2 billion euro ($1.32 billion) budget for buying additional wireless airwaves...In the meantime, T-Mobile USA is upgrading its network with EDGE, a technology that is roughly twice as fast as home Internet connections that use traditional phone lines but about three times slower than UMTS networks...It expects to start selling EDGE services next year and begin by gradually phasing in the service in selected markets..."</i><br /><br />Now that the Sprint - Nextel merger is almost certain, T-Mobile USA will be a distant forth in terms of subscriber count. And once the Cingular sorts out the customer service problems at the AT&amp;T end and starts offering better data plans, Cingular might sound more promising to the customers, especially the GSM based Smartphone customers because it offers better coverage than T-Mobile. So what do you think, should T-Mobile folks be worried about the recent events in the carrier industry and their inability to upgrade their networks? Will they have trouble retaining existing customers and attracting new ones?

ricksfiona
12-13-2004, 10:16 PM
I think T-Mobile is doing the best thing for their company. They're not over-promising and under-deliverying, which most carriers do. They are being realistic and looking at the financial side of things...

If they can make data connections 2x fast than they are now, that would be very cool with me. I consider myself a pretty average wireless user: e-mail and minor web surfing. I'm pretty happy with the speed now. I have no need for streaming audio/video to my device via wireless. In a couple of years, I probably will be interested in higher speed, and T-Mobile will be doing it by then. If I need faster wireless service, I'm sure I can find a Starbucks or Borders in the San Francisco Bay Area close by. :wink:

They'll be around for the long haul &amp; keep quality up at every end. I'll be sticking with them thank you very much.

entropy1980
12-14-2004, 01:08 AM
I second that! Something you have seen T-Mobile do which nobody else has is cheap data plans. Sure you can get EVDO here in Los Angeles but it's only here (for now) and the price is like having another broadband account.... give me 19.99 unlimited GPRS anyday over that! Also T-Mobile may be hedging their bets, don't onvest too much too soon in a next Gen network and either leapfrog the competition or merge with someone who already has an existing 3G network don't be suprised to see T-mobile get gobbled up by Cingular if things don't look as rosy in a year or two.

Kris Kumar
12-14-2004, 01:53 AM
If I need faster wireless service, I'm sure I can find a Starbucks or Borders in the San Francisco Bay Area close by. :wink:

I think this is what T-Mobile is betting on; that if the customers want high speed, they will step into a hot spot and use a PDA or laptop, instead of a phone with high-speed net on the street. :-)

I like the way they have simplified the billing for the two. And increasing the hot spot presence.

aristoBrat
12-14-2004, 04:53 AM
Yup! 5,200+ US T-Mobile HotSpots... 11,000+ worldwide.

I'm doing fine with GPRS. It gets my email to where it needs to go, normal web pages load reasonably fast, and I can stream audio. EDGE will be even better and definately keep me in the happy camper for another year or two.

possmann
12-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Well I wish the sped was a bit faster - but overall I'm "ok" with the speed... The one thing I really don't like regarding T-mo is the choice (or lack thereof) phones - especially smartphones here in the US. Seems like the Deutschland folks get to play with all the cool stuff - sigh.

Still I've been a T-mo customer for 4 years and they do have the best prices-period. Coverage and speed will only increase and I have no doubt that they will continue to keep the quality at it's high level (Just get some smart phones over her in the US PLEASE!)