View Full Version : Not Happy with my latest Cingular experience

encece
11-30-2004, 05:57 AM
I went into a Cingular store today with my out of contract SMT5600.
I told them that I wanted to convert my current AT&T plan to include an additional phone and family plan.

They STILL wanted me to pay activation fees.
They required that both phones begin with a two year contract each even though I am providing both phones.

I walked out of the store. There is no reason I should need to begin a new contract as I am not subsidizing any phones.

I'm sure the rep was wrong but can anyone confirm?

The last time I was in this store, they told me that there was NO WAY BestBuy would get the MPx220 before them...that everything I was reading on the internet was wrong.

I am not having a good experience with them at all and am getting flashbacks about my bad experiences with CellularOne (previous name of Cingular). I may just move back to TMobile....IF their reception is acceptable in my home.

Can anyone convince me otherwise???

Mike Temporale
11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
They STILL wanted me to pay activation fees.
They required that both phones begin with a two year contract each even though I am providing both phones.

That doesn't sound right. If you're providing the hardware, why are they requiring a contract? I would try another store, or call them. If they continue with this line of thinking, you should ask to speak to someone like a manager. This makes no sense.

Jerry Raia
12-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Was it a Cingular corporate store do you know? Sometimes the independent dealers get things goofed up.

encece
12-03-2004, 02:10 AM
it was corporate....I'll try online next

Jerry Raia
12-03-2004, 02:25 AM
I am not having a good experience with them at all and am getting flashbacks about my bad experiences with CellularOne (previous name of Cingular). I may just move back to TMobile....IF their reception is acceptable in my home.

Can anyone convince me otherwise???

I would even try another store. I can only judge them by the way they have handled the MPx220 fiasco. They came through.

james840a
12-04-2004, 01:23 AM
Encece, You shouldnt have to have a contract since you are providing the hardware. But if your looking at plans and rates with bonus stuff Like w/ unlimited night&weekend minutes even with just that youd need a contract even if your not getting a phone. Att did the same with me when i went into there store. I just called up Att customer care and explained what i wanted to do, and they said no proplem. All i wanted to do at that time was upgrade my minutes add 200 more. I have since switched and now a cingular user.

My advice give cingulars customer care a call and see if they can help you.
Now some stores i found, say cingular on there store sign in my area but they realy are a second company. I found that out the first time i tried switching to cingular and the store i got the refund from was a secondary company and not a true cingular store.

Jerry Raia
12-04-2004, 01:50 AM
I try to avoid the non corporate stores myself. I wish I had avoided Best Buy.

shrikant_c
12-11-2004, 04:03 PM
I just went beyond my 30-day trial period with AT&T on the SMT5600. I like this phone, and there is nothing comparable for its price. HOwever, when I try add more lines, they are no longer offering AT&T plans to new activations. In order to have a family plan, I must convert to Cingular, and buy a Cingular phone.

Why can they not offer to activate my SMT5600 on Cingular? It is now dead money if I have to buy a new phone. And Cingular has nothing comparable at a low enough price! What a nightmare!!

IF I unlock the SMT5600, will it work on Cingular? WHat features will I be missing? Is there an option or upgrade that will convert the SMT5600 to a fully functional Cingular phone?

aristoBrat
12-11-2004, 05:13 PM
If you unlock your phone, nothing about it changes except for the fact that it will work if you put in other wireless carriers SIM.

If you do change to Cingular, you'll have to re-setup the GPRS and MMS connections. I think that's it.

encece
12-15-2004, 03:40 PM
By the way, I am now switched and am a happy camper.
The converted AT&T store in Mount Laurel, NJ was a much better experience than the "seasoned" Cingular store!

aristoBrat
12-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Are you using their MEdia Works plan?

encece
12-15-2004, 04:07 PM
yes...see my sig for settings

Mike Temporale
12-15-2004, 05:55 PM
By the way, I am now switched and am a happy camper.

Great! Were you able to get setup without activation fees? and contracts?

encece
12-15-2004, 09:32 PM
I added another phone, so yes, I needed a new contract...and the $18 rollover fee as well for my current phone. But the guys were smart and courteous so all went well.

Jerry Raia
12-16-2004, 02:01 AM
I added another phone, so yes, I needed a new contract...and the $18 rollover fee as well for my current phone. But the guys were smart and courteous so all went well.

and what phone did you get??

encece
12-16-2004, 07:09 AM
a cheapie samsung flip phone for my mom. She currently has a Verizon Pay-As-You-Go phone...and I figured she could just use my minutes as I get 850 minutes/month and most times dont use them up. As few phone calls as she makes...I figured I'd just tack her on. Plus calls between us are free and then there's the roll-over minutes. Well worth the early conversion.