View Full Version : OK to go to Cingular store with unlocked phone?

sn1p3t
11-26-2004, 03:26 AM
I took advantage of Amazon's -$25 for the SMT5600 a month ago. I love the phone, but I want to move on to Cingular service.

I just finished unlocking my phone, and it's working great, I guess the next step it to replace the SIM, correct? Can I walk into a Cingular store (formerly a AT&T store), and ask them to change my service? Then, when I get a new phone, take out the SIM and put it into my SMT5600?

Thanks for your help, I want to do this right :D

EDIT: Something just popped into my head. Will AT&T and Amazon still honor my rebates ($250), if I switch to Cingular?

Kris Kumar
11-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Regarding the rebate: I would recommend that you read the Amazon's terms and conditions. Couple of years ago when I got a phone from Amazon. I was required to keep the service for three - six months before I got my $250 rebate. It should be on the rebate form that you got from Amazon, there should be a copy online.

Janak Parekh
11-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, he's not "getting rid" of the service, right? Just converting to a Cingular contract. I agree with Kris, though, in that you should be careful regardless.

--janak

sn1p3t
11-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for that. I check through Amazon's rebate, and the only thing I found out of the ordinary was the line "Rebates will not be honored for customers adding a line of service who then cancel an existing line." I don't think this would apply in this situation, but I don't know. I'm going to wait until I recieve my rebate before I go to Cingular.

rdecker
02-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Can't speak to the Amazon thing but I did just walk into Cingular and get a 64K orange SIM and transfer from AT&T.

Since I did not want a free phone they didn't even make me extend my AT&T contract!

mpaquette
03-02-2005, 03:12 PM
What does Cingular charge for a 64k orange SIM?