View Full Version : What is activation?

TheNinthPlayer
10-26-2004, 09:44 PM
What is activation and do I need to do it if I buy a new cell phone?

Here's the deal. I recently signed up to cingular and picked up a phone. I got the free one cause I knew I would want to get a better one later. Now Cingular is telling me I can not change phones until 2 years or they will slam me with a $150 activation fee.

Mike Temporale
10-26-2004, 11:19 PM
You can get any unlocked phone, and use it without Cingular's knowledge. If you want a subsidized phone, then that is another problem.

Activation is basically signing you up for service, and activating the phone on their network. Once you have your SIM, you can put that into any unlocked GSM phone, and your off and running. :)

NTzeke
10-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Does every new phone have a Sim card. Does the Audiovox smt5600 have a Sim card?

aristoBrat
10-27-2004, 10:00 PM
The Audivox SMT 5600 I got had a brand new AT&T SIM card included.

NTzeke
10-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Sorry for my noobness...............

So if I have a Sim card, and I put it in ANY unlocked phone (or locked to my service provider), then I can talk on the phone under my own plan??

Mike Temporale
10-28-2004, 01:04 AM
Does every new phone have a Sim card. Does the Audiovox smt5600 have a Sim card?

Yes, but only if you've signed a contract. Otherwise I would be surprised to see a SIM in a new phone.

Mike Temporale
10-28-2004, 01:07 AM
So if I have a Sim card, and I put it in ANY unlocked phone (or locked to my service provider), then I can talk on the phone under my own plan??

Yup. GSM has some pretty nice advantages, eh?

Try this simple test: Take your SIM card, and place it in your friends phone (it must be unlocked, or on the same network as you). From a landline, call your mobile number. :D

aristoBrat
10-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Sorry for my noobness...............

Yes. I have a friend who has his SIM card in a PocketPC Phone during the day, and then puts it in a much smaller phone at night/when he goes out.

It's one of the advantages of GSM technology. Speaking of which, where's ShivShank's been lately?

promano
11-01-2004, 09:22 AM

Yes, but only if you've signed a contract. Otherwise I would be surprised to see a SIM in a new phone.

All new GSM/GPRS phones come with a SIM CARD.
If you already have a GSM/GPRS phone with an active SIM, you don't need to use the new SIM that comes with a new phone.
All you need to do is transfer your SIM and away you go !
Just make sure that the people you buy the phone from don't do you a favor and ACTIVATE the phone.
You don't need to activate the phone as long as your SIM card is active.

And YES, the SMT5600 comes with an AT&T SIM CARD.

Pete...

joeonsunset
12-31-2004, 06:58 AM
Even if it can be avoided, isn't anyone else surpised to hear about this crazy fee? I've never encountered this policy with ATTWS and I'll be pretty upset if it happens to me in the future with Cingular.

stevew
12-31-2004, 02:50 PM
I put my SIM in my Siemens SX66 PocketPC Phone while at work and then my MPX 220 when not at work. I sync both with Active Sync so both have same tasks, appointments, contacts. I wish we could have 2 duplicate SIM cards to avoid switching back and forth.

promano
01-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Even if it can be avoided, isn't anyone else surpised to hear about this crazy fee? I've never encountered this policy with ATTWS and I'll be pretty upset if it happens to me in the future with Cingular.

The $150 Fee is NOT an activation fee.
It is an early termination fee.

You will get charged this fee if you break your contract before 2 years...
If you don't break your contract, then you have nothing to worry about.

I've been with AT&T since 1994 and I am very happy with the service.

aristoBrat
01-03-2005, 04:39 PM
And FWIW, switching from AT&T to Cingular is not considered breaking your contract, and you will not be charged the ETF.