View Full Version : Thinking of migrating to a Smartphone..

yslee
07-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Currently I'm smartphone-less/pdaphone-less, and after having used one going back to a normal phone is a real painful thing. =P

The phones I really want aren't here yet (MPx and P50), and don't look like they'll be here soon, and while I like the Treo 600 very much, it is rather expensive still, and it's not worth it to use it for 6-9 months and then change to the MPx or P50.

So I'm thinking of getting a Smartphone to tide me over for this period, but I do have a few questions about the platform (sorry if this has been answered, but I didn't see it when I searched).

1. Is there an autocomplete software for data input? Kinda like how the PPC will learn and prompt you for a word when you're entering it halfway? While I'm pretty good with T9 and multitap (my generation grew up with SMS), I'm reluctant to go back to standard T9 after having used a thumbboard for the past few months.

2. Is there a way not to use Outlook and sync contacts, etc. to a PC?

3. Any freeware task managers like Wisbar for the PPC?

4. Is there an email client that'll retrive IMAP4 emails over SSL, and support at least 2 accounts? Won't be getting a 2003 phone..

encece
07-26-2004, 02:48 AM
1) Not yet, though the VOX has something different than T9.
2) Not that I'm aware of. Why not Outlook?
3) SPTaskManager will close open apps and is free. But not a skin like wisebar.
4) I'm not aware of SLL Support...but 2 accounts is not possible in 2002 OS. (2003 only).

yslee
07-26-2004, 05:31 AM
Thanks encece!

1) Not really looking at the VOQ though. For its supposed price I'd rather get a Treo 600. At this point I'll be getting a friend's MPx200 at a pretty decent price.

2) Don't like Outlook. Find it fiddly and weird. To me it feels like a bastard child of MS Office.

3) Ah, ok, skinning is not an issue with me. I did manage to find Xbar 1.0 through other forums though. =)

4) Heh, I'm solving that through a flashed 2003 MPX200. =P

encece
07-26-2004, 06:13 AM
3) Ah, ok, skinning is not an issue with me. I did manage to find Xbar 1.0 through other forums though. =)
I forgot about XBar. It's on my todo list of programs to try. I just never get around to it. Though many consider it to be essential.

wirelessbeachbum
07-26-2004, 12:48 PM
1. Is there an autocomplete software for data input?

T9 on the i600 helps me with spelling all the time. (HTC harrier will be Phone edition with thumb board, out later this year)

2. Is there a way not to use Outlook and sync contacts, etc. to a PC?

You can sync directly to Verizon's Wireless sync program, (contact's, Task, Schedule, and multiple email addresses.) Out look is not necessary, plus it's web based, so you can access from any PC or device)

3. Any freeware task managers like Wisbar for the PPC?

I have not found one I like yet, although...I too keep meaning to try Xbar $5.99 isn't a bad price http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts/software_detail.asp?id=442

4. Is there an email client that'll retrive IMAP4 emails over SSL, and support at least 2 accounts? Won't be getting a 2003 phone

Once again, I believe Verizon's Wireless Sync will work for you here.

By the way I'm not trying to be a Verizon Chearleader, I just know about what I have used myself...there may be other solutions available.

yslee
07-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Opps, I didn't mention this, but there's no such thing as Verizon here. Or AT&T for that matter. Or unlimited GPRS at a decent price *sigh* Basically, I'm not in the US.

Xbar 1.0 seems to be free, so I think I'll try that out when I get the MPx200.

T9 is slow once you're done with thumb keyboards.. at least some form of autocomplete would've helped. I tried my friend's Motorola C650 and was fairly impressed with Motorola's iTap system.