View Full Version : Cingular Acquisition

zeke009
07-13-2004, 08:51 PM
ATTWS has this posted on their site:
The Cingular Acquisition: Bigger Network, Better Coverage

Frequently asked questions about the Cingular Acquisition

Q: When will the deal close?
A: AT&T Wireless and Cingular are still two separate, completely independent companies. Approvals are still required from government agencies for the proposed deal to move forward.

Q: What will this mean for me as a customer?
A: Better coverage, more options for services and a better overall customer experience.

Q: Why shouldn't I go with Cingular now?
A: For now, AT&T Wireless is still an independent company with some of our best offers ever such as Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile minutes, Unlimited Nights & Weekends and Customers First on select plans.

Q: Will I now get roll over minutes and other promotions that Cingular offers?
A: Not at this time. However, in time, the combination of AT&T Wireless and Cingular will give you an even greater array of services, plans and phones from which to choose.

Q: What happens to my service?
A: For now, AT&T Wireless and Cingular are two separate companies. As a customer, you will continue to receive the same great service you have come to expect from AT&T Wireless.

Q: What will happen to my rate plan?
A: Rest assured, the terms of your contract will be honored.

Q: What do I get out of the deal?
A: Our customers are the biggest winners of all -
More high-quality coverage

More choices

More service
Q: Why does my phone read "Cingular" when I'm roaming?
A: We've already opened up some coverage areas with Cingular through our expanded roaming agreement. If you see "Cingular" on your phone, it means you're being covered by their network.

Q: I heard in the media that this deal may take months to close. Is there chance that my consumer service could be cut off during this time?
A: Let us assure you that we are not going to miss meeting our commitments to you regardless of the acquisition process.

I have 3 concerns about the merger and what it means for AT&T customers:
1) Quality of service: AT&T wasn't that bad in my area.... but not having Cingular in the MN area, I have no idea what to expect from them. Anyone have any experience?

2) Plan Variety & options

3) Device compatability: Does Cingular make use of SIM cards? Can an unlocked phone be brought to their network? I have seen more people mention using an unlocked phone in T-Mobile than any other network and I don't remember seeing Cingular mentioned once. In other words, I don't want to give up my smartphone because they don't have them in their product line.

Kris Kumar
07-14-2004, 05:00 AM
I don't know answers to all your questions...but can answer the last one.

3. Cingular uses GSM technology, and so its phone uses SIM cards. Unlocked GSM phones will work on Cingular networks. The reason why you may not have heard about Cingular is because T-Mobile offers best data rates + plans (what is a Smartphone without data) and AT&T carries Smartphones, but Cingular has none of the two qualities.

Cingular till a couple of years ago was mostly TDMA based, even now I believe 10% or so of its network is TDMA based, which is not compatible with GSM.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Cingular is focusing on 850Mhz band for its GSM networks, and the current crop of smartphones don't support 850. MPx220 is the only announced (or unannounced) phone with 850Mhz support.

zeke009
07-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Your answer to #3 could possibly be an answer to question #2. Since Cingular is acquiring a provider with a large number of users with data plans or who make use of data on their device (like me, I just pay for what I go over if I do for the month), one can hope that they adjust plans accordingly to compete with T-Mobile.

If not, I could find myself a T-Mobile customer again!

I don't think it could have been said any better:
what is a Smartphone without data

GSMfan
08-09-2004, 01:13 PM
I work for one of the US GSM carriers, and it is not TMobile, so you can guess that I have some information about the (proposed) aquisition.
1. As far as quality of service is concerned, you should actually notice better coverage after the merger. The relatively large scale of the AT&T Wireless GSM network is half the reason Cingular wants to buy AT&T Wireless. They probably do not plan on shutting down any AT&T Wireless sites unless it is a pure 1:1 overlap. Also, AT&T Wireless has cash-flow issues that will no longer be an issue when Cingular Wireless taxes over. This means more operating capital for network expansion and upgrades.
2. If you compare the plans between the 2 companies, you will see that they are stikingly similar, with one major exception. Cingular has roll-over. If this merger is like most others, former AT&T Wireless customers will be given the option of staying on their current plan through the remainder of their service agreement or moving over to one of Cingular's plans.
3. As far as device compatability, yes . They both use SIM cards and they both already have the capability of roaming on each network, (although calls currently drop during the handoff). The drop issue should be cleared up by upgrading the subscirber profiles once the companies merge. Unlocked phones can be brought to both networks.

Sorry for the book. I hope this info. helps.
P.S. As far as data is concerned, do NOT think about going to TMobile. Both AT&T Wireless and Cingular have launched UMTS in their company's home markets and are changing their data plans accordingly. TMobile does not have the operating capital to seriously compete in this arena. UMTS should be launched in more markets as the companies merge.

muzzin
10-19-2004, 05:21 AM
I know, I know. It's all a mystery. No one knows for sure.
I guess I don't care to hear all the excuses. The bottom line is the Government as to be the laggard so they should have an expected timeline.
Hopefully someone in the know like the nice GSM industry guy in prior posts can drop the goods in a discrete post. :twisted:

BTW GSMfan, that wasn't a book and we all appreciate the info. :-)

I've had every carrier at one time except Sprint and T-mobile (both for standard reasons). Mainly I want to know how the new smartphones AT&T are bringing out are going to crossover. I expect to buy the Audiovox SMT5600. I would have ahappened already but for one thing. I want Cingulars 850 minute family plan for $70 a month not the AT&T 950 plan for $85 a month (approximations, I'm not gonna look them up again)

Yes, the data rates must come down dramatically. Probably the most frustrating part is the wool over the eyes issues of expensive cellular data minutes. This stuff should be $10 a month unlimited and $5 for low users.
(At least that is what it'll be when WiMAX hits the scene.:-) )

Finally though someone got smart and made an advanced phone with a 2.5mm headset jack (screw you Nokia!!).

Apologies for rambling. Things with the merger are moving a way too slow :roll: . Maybe someone from one of the two companies can eventally step up and say hey we'll definitely allow you to bring the SMT5600 into Cingular's network if you sign on to the Familytime plan now with Cingular.

Bacco
10-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that Cingular is focusing on 850Mhz band for its GSM networks, and the current crop of smartphones don't support 850. MPx220 is the only announced (or unannounced) phone with 850Mhz support.

Kris...the Audiovox SMT 5600 supports the 850 band here in the States. At least the one being sold by AT&T does.