View Full Version : Verizon Service Plans

Snoopy1
06-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Ok i am a little confused here. Verizon reps state that I can get the national access rate plan (like the 400 min for $55) and use it for voice and data and the data usage will just come out of my minutes. Can I just get the americas choice plan since it is cheaper & I dont really need the long distance feature of the national access plan & use both voice & data out of the minutes on this rate plan as well? Or will I need to buy the unlimited data plan for $44.99 or 5 mb for $24.99 ? when using the americas choice plan, Since night and weekends are free on the americas choice plan does that mean unlimited data usage during this period as well? Just trying to figure out the best way to go.

Thanks!

ARW
06-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Ok i am a little confused here. Verizon reps state that I can get the national access rate plan (like the 400 min for $55) and use it for voice and data and the data usage will just come out of my minutes. Can I just get the americas choice plan since it is cheaper & I dont really need the long distance feature of the national access plan & use both voice & data out of the minutes on this rate plan as well? Or will I need to buy the unlimited data plan for $44.99 or 5 mb for $24.99 ? when using the americas choice plan, Since night and weekends are free on the americas choice plan does that mean unlimited data usage during this period as well? Just trying to figure out the best way to go.

Thanks!

Do a search of Howard Forums for lengthy discussion on this topic. The general concensus and my own experience is that you can get an AC plan and it includes data usage. As you use data it is just deducted from your monthly minute bucket just as voice is. The concern/question is...what happens if you log on for hours during off-peak? Some believe that Verizon will take the privilege away. Myself, I've not abused this so have had no negative repurcussions.

My $.02,

AW

Santa Fe
06-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Same experience as AW for me.

Snoopy1
06-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Ok, just spoke with reps for verizon and was told that their is a flaw in their system that allows the use of data features on the americas choice plan. They stated that yes I could in fact use americas choice plan and it would be deducted out of my minutes but that you are not supposed to & they are working on correcting this flaw. They also stated that everyone who is using the americas choice plan to access data without having a valid data plan will probably end up with a bill in the mail in the near future charging them for data access for the minutes they have used.

ARW
06-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Ok, just spoke with reps for verizon and was told that their is a flaw in their system that allows the use of data features on the americas choice plan. They stated that yes I could in fact use americas choice plan and it would be deducted out of my minutes but that you are not supposed to & they are working on correcting this flaw. They also stated that everyone who is using the americas choice plan to access data without having a valid data plan will probably end up with a bill in the mail in the near future charging them for data access for the minutes they have used.

And I'll bet if you called VZW back and spoke to another rep you'd get an entirely different response. This is why there has been so much discussion on this topic. I suppose the one-sided contracts we are forced to sign could allow vzw to change our plans/features mid-year, but I think they'd have a hard time back-charging customers for something. I believe they'd have quite a PR nightmare on their hands.

Snoopy1
06-21-2004, 12:49 AM
This same rep also stated that the National Choice plan that i am on for $55 for 400 min is for the voice calls only and when on to say that as long as i get my pda in the express network setting that data usage is unlimited and will not be subtracted from my minutes. I have a hard time believing this as another VZW rep tells me the exact opposite. Anybody here on a national plan? How is you data usage billed by VZW? How is the data usage tracked by those of you using the americas choice plan? Is it subtracted out of your minutes or is it unlimited?

Thanks!

Santa Fe
06-21-2004, 02:56 AM
My Verizon rep recommended my plan and explained I could and should deduct data from my AC minutes. I'd not rely too much on what Verison reps tell you.

aristoBrat
06-21-2004, 04:14 PM
This same rep also stated that the National Choice plan that i am on for $55 for 400 min is for the voice calls only and when on to say that as long as i get my pda in the express network setting that data usage is unlimited and will not be subtracted from my minutes. I have a hard time believing this as another VZW rep tells me the exact opposite. Anybody here on a national plan? How is you data usage billed by VZW? How is the data usage tracked by those of you using the americas choice plan? Is it subtracted out of your minutes or is it unlimited?

Thanks!
I had Verizon/i600 and the $39.99 AC 400 plan. Data usage was deducted in minutes from my voice plan.

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 08:10 PM
With the new OS out on the i600, I have heard that customers using airtime minutes will be forced to use QNC connections in the future if you want 1x speeds you will need to purchase a data plan...Unlimited...5MB...or one of the airtime plans....

This could be very impartant since the new OS will do dormant data sessions....which if you are billed airtime for the entire time you are connected to the network (but not on an active channel) it could get really ugly fast.

My opinion is if you are going to spend $600 on a smartphone...go all out and get the unlimited data plan and really enjoy it...

aristoBrat
07-18-2004, 10:30 PM
My opinion is if you are going to spend $600 on a smartphone...go all out and get the unlimited data plan and really enjoy it...
Ugh. A $600 Smartphone and $45 extra added to your bill monthly to use it. Yeah Verizon! NOT. :(

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Ugh. A $600 Smartphone and $45 extra added to your bill monthly to use it. Yeah Verizon! NOT. :(

That's only $1.50 for unlimited data plan...unless you just bought the phone to use as an mp3 player that is nothing...if you ae using it as a business tool the 1.50 per day will quicly make a huge return on it's investment...heck the average cost of a 16oz softdrink is 1.20...unless you are a cube dweller who never sees the sun, pop for the data plan...

And since this phone will double as a wireless modem for your laptop...that gives you a 45 unlimited data plan...aircards and non pda's would cost you 79.99 a month for unlimited data...it's really a good deal.

aristoBrat
07-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Unlimited phone data can be had on Sprint for $15/month (Vision), Cingular for $19.99/month (MEdia Works), and T-Mobile for $19.99/month (they don't have a cute name for theirs). All of those packages also include some sort of free SMS and/or MMS as well.

And FWIW, although the i600 does work as a modem, according to our VZW business rep, if it's used as a modem for a laptop, the account is supposed to have the $79.99/month plan. Blech

wirelessbeachbum
07-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Unlimited phone data can be had on Sprint for $15/month (Vision), Cingular for $19.99/month (MEdia Works), and T-Mobile for $19.99/month (they don't have a cute name for theirs). All of those packages also include some sort of free SMS and/or MMS as well.

And FWIW, although the i600 does work as a modem, according to our VZW business rep, if it's used as a modem for a laptop, the account is supposed to have the $79.99/month plan. Blech

Sprint charges and additonal $15 dollars per month for phones that run Microsoft OS's...so that brings them up to $30...and for most people Verizon's foot print is preferred. I'll try and post side by side comparisons of their 1xrtt networks to show the differences...they speak for themselves.

aristoBrat
07-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Doesn't Sprint's website mention Microsoft PocketPC operating systems?

wirelessbeachbum
07-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Doesn't Sprint's website mention Microsoft PocketPC operating systems?

I was referring to pda devices with data only, Sprint as well as Verizon require $79.99 for unlimited data on laptops....I can see where my previous post could be confusing.