View Full Version : And now Roll-Up Displays...

Kris Kumar
04-17-2004, 03:59 AM
We have the Roll-Up keyboards, that enable easy data entry on our Smartphones and Pocket PCs.

And now thanks to Xerox, soon we will have Roll-Up Displays 8O

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18901869

Think about it, you have a Roll Up Bluetooth Enabled Display !! You are in the subway, in flight, whenever you need to kill time, Pull out the Display and 'Un-Roll' it :-)

Wow...I think I can say good bye to carrying laptops or even Pocket PCs just because I need a bigger screen.

eReader, Newspaper, Site surfin......

Mike Temporale
04-17-2004, 11:54 AM
There has been a lot of talk in the last year about roll-up displays. Hopefully a product release is getting close.

I think the first place you'll see these is in laptops. They won't take advantage of the rolling up factor, just the thinness of them. From there I expect portable devices will start to take advantage of them. Imagine how thin your phone would be if it had one of those screens in it?!

I'm not sure I would like to carry around a screen all rolled up in my bag. What if it got bent or something?

Jason Dunn
04-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Anyone watched Earth: Final Conflict? They used handhelds that were based around a roll-up screen design:

http://www.jjambproductions.com/images/global%20link2.jpg

It was a visionary design that I think will come to pass in some way in the next five years. Very cool stuff!

David McNamee
04-17-2004, 09:49 PM
I remember playing with Xerox's "electronic paper" about 10 years ago when they used to have a display at EPCOT. Pretty slick stuff. This seems like the next logical step.

I can see a cottage industry of designer carrying tubes. Or maybe a leather holder that rolls up?

Kris Kumar
04-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I remember playing with Xerox's "electronic paper" about 10 years ago when they used to have a display at EPCOT. Pretty slick stuff. This seems like the next logical step.

E-Paper...is pretty cool. Do you know they finally have it in a commercial product. And soon we will see them in store displays, where they would replace paper price tags and sale banners. Soon product prices would be updated via wifi instead of manual tag replacement.
It took almost 25 years from conception to productization. Wonder how long roll out display will take.

BTW...E-Paper can be rolled too.
http://www.gyricon.com

encece
04-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Val Kilmer used a roll-up display in Red Planet as well. Not a bad movie either. (But also not great). Also, it was released some time ago. Well before the rovers launched for Mars. And the similarities of their landing craft is suspiciously similar to that inflatable shell of the rover's crafts.

It was either well researched with information that many did not know about the landers or NASA based their ships off of the movie! :)

BUT...the flexible screen he used rolled up and he pulled it out like a modern scroll. It would be cool if future phones had a very small screen for "phone" use and a screen that roll out of the length for PDA type use.