View Full Version : MS Office Viewers

robinsonb
11-13-2003, 01:19 AM
Do you have to download and install MS viewer applications to be able to view Word or Excel files on the SmartPhone? I saw a news item that Verizon was doing a website to be able to buy/download these apps. I get my Smartphone on Friday, so this may be a stupid question.

encece
11-13-2003, 01:38 AM
There are currently 2 ways to VIEW Word & Excel fules on the Smartphone.

The first is Clearvue SUite which will let you open Word, Excel, PDF, PPT, and image files on your phone. Especially nice when viewing email attachments. The negative side of this is that it doesn't really reformat the files for the phone so you're doing alot of scrolling on Word & Excel Files.

The second option is to use a program called Repligo...which works just like Acrobat Writer. The positive is that you can convert almost ANY file type to view on the phone. The negative is that you must first convert them on your PC.

As far as Verizon offering the ability to download apps....they are just using Handango...which mostly has shareware programs, Not many, if any freeware apps.

robinsonb
11-13-2003, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I assume these are available for sale on Handango?

ARW
11-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Yes they are. Here's a link:

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&jid=2XAEB7CA6F5286A4EX72A56A3X7F1ADB&platformId=11&osId=257&siteId=1&productId=83420&sectionId=0&topOption=3&catalog=1&topSectionId=0

Not sure why Handango is still hiding i600 information. I've purchaed and installed about four apps from them for my i600 with no problems.

robinsonb
11-13-2003, 01:41 PM
On my PocketPC, I also use eWallet alot, the Journal Bar, and PocketTV Manager. I'll be interested to see if these can be utilized as well.

Thanks!

encece
11-14-2003, 12:43 AM
ewallet and PocketTV are both available for smartphones. Check them out at handango.

Journal bar, a great plugin for the PPC, is not available for the Smartphone. Not many cool homescreen plugins yet....but I bet you'll see some soon.

robinsonb
11-14-2003, 01:12 AM
I've seen some people mention Pocket TV for viewing graphics and video's. The one I had on my PocketPC would actually download TV listings for the channels you specify. They both have the same name...?

encece
11-14-2003, 02:46 AM
Oh I remember that one. Nothing yet as far as I know. Though someone was working on it. I believe.

The PocketTV Team
12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
I've seen some people mention Pocket TV for viewing graphics and video's. The one I had on my PocketPC would actually download TV listings for the channels you specify. They both have the same name...?
No.

PocketTV ( www.pockettv.com ) is for playing MPEG movie. Notice: no space between Pocket and TV!

Pocket TV Listings (PTVL) allows you to transfer TV listings from TVGuide.com to the Pocket PC. See http://ptvl.thumbsupsoft.com/ .