View Full Version : Bluetooth, Rest In Peace?

David McNamee
10-16-2003, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20031013S0040' target='_blank'>http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20031013S0040</a><br /><br /></div>Here's a great little conversation starter: Bluetooth is dead. At least according to EETimes' Craig Mathias. "Bluetooth proponents continue to remind me that millions of Bluetooth chips roll off the lines every month. Quite true. Most go into headsets; some go into keyboards and mouses. But why use a radio that can interfere with 802.11b and g for such purposes? And what's wrong with a wired headset, which is cheaper, better-sounding, lighter and more reliable-and without the silly blinking LED? Gratuitous Bluetooth? You bet."<br /><br />So, what do you think - will Bluetooth die out?

quake97
10-16-2003, 06:50 PM
I don't know how many times I've heard the "BT interferes with 802.11b/g" line. Its total BS. BT absolutely does not interfere. I have them working on the same laptop in three separate places.

I do understand where the confusion comes from though, especially because some 2.4Ghz phones really screw up 802.11 wireless connections. The trick there is to keep the channels on the base station and the portable phone as far apart as possible. Its always fun to be online and have the phone ring, there goes the Internet. :)

Joe

Ramin
10-16-2003, 08:54 PM
To all you naysayers... :roll: Bluetooth works well for me. :razzing:

I've been using a SonyEricsson T68i paired to a SonyEricsson HBH-30 Bluetooth Headset, a Compaq iPAQ h3870 (with Running Voice GSM installed) and an MSI MS-6967 Bluetooth dongle, for well over a year... no complaints at all - It's easy to pair and use. 8) I just can't imagine life without Bluetooth (and cables everywhere!). :twisted:

I'm now planning to get myself an Orange SPV e200 only because it supports Bluetooth! :)

Most people who complain about Bluetooth are probably stuck with the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo - I'd suggest that they ditch that and get the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse instead - it works like a dream and supports a greater number of profiles. Similarly, Nokia Bluetooth phones also seem to be incompatible with other Bluetooth products. I think this is more Nokia's fault than the Bluetooth SIG. In future, do a little research before buying Bluetooth hardware and save yourself the trouble of whining later. ;)

Who knows what Craig Mathias' agenda is... but who cares? :razzing: Bluetooth is here, and here to stay. :mrgreen:

JordanMills
10-25-2003, 07:56 PM
He's right. Bluetooth works very well in a very few, very limited situations, but for the most part it's useless. I think that's mostly due to OEM support than anything else. Not a single one of the phones I want support it, and the add-on adapters (that regularly fall off and get lost) cost way too much (Nextel quoted me US$170 for a little bluetooth dongle that I'd probably lose any way). It's not even being used for what it was made. BT, contrary to the claims of random discount hardware mfgrs is not for home networking.

If anyone wants me to use bluetooth, they need to give me at least some of what I want. Here's where you can start:
Decent keyboard that works with most things
I like the look of the MS keyboard, but it's the old square design and I need the split "ergo" style - unless I limit my typing to an hour or so a day and wear a wrist brace. A nifty add-on would be something that remembers a connection to multiple devices so I can flip a switch and have it cycle between my desktop, laptop/tablet, pda, and phone
Same for a mouse
Working on Pocket PC/Windows Mobile/whatever is kinda expected (but isn't supported at this time at all).
A reasonably inexpensive phone with BT
Weren't these chips supposed to cost like $5? Why am I nearly doubling the cost of a US$200 phone to get it? This is garbage. Filth. I'd be happy with a phone that did nothing but dial in and out, with BT (interfacing with a headset, pda dialer, etc would be nice - eg to the point where I don't even need an onboard address book - if I do have one, I want to be able to sync it with the PIM of my choice, like outlook). Or give me an overkill device like the Mot MPx200. I'm willing to pay a lot more for the extra functionality. My biggest gripe about phones right now is that they charge me out the boot for lots of irrelevant "features" that are only usable on the phone - my Mot i90c can store like 500 names, addresses, dates, tasks, and all that, but they don't exist outside the phone.
ditch this master/slave crap
I want a mesh, not locking one device to one host until I want to go through the hassle of retraining another one. I want my PDA, phone, and console to be able to grab my headset as needed. I want to be able to hear system events and dictate speech to my tablet on the bus, get a small beep when the phone (in my pocket) rings, maybe an onscreen notification of who it is, and tap a button on my headset to answer if I want.

BT does none of this. It's just an expensive toy, and it's an expensive, slow, and picky toy.