View Full Version : Get Ready For a Fun Month

David McNamee
10-09-2003, 02:15 PM
October is going to be a very busy month!

For the news junkies among us, things could be hopping soon. Consider that:
This week, Microsoft has its favorite mobility journalists in Redmond for Mobius.
Next week is the once-every-four-years ITU Telecom World conference in Geneva. Microsoft and HP are expected to make announcements there.
The following week (October 20th) are the CTIA Wireless Conference and the Pocket PC Summit in Las Vegas.
The week after (October 27th) is the Professional Developer Conference in Los Angeles.

Also, Orange should be stocking their shelves with the Motorola MPx200 and SPV e200 over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned, this could get fun!

TopDog
10-09-2003, 02:39 PM
I just put up a lot of money and bought a second hand Qtek 7070... could all progress stop for, lets say 6 months, so I can get on top of things, PLEASE :n00b:

I hate being a newbie... :x

Mike Temporale
10-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Next week is the once-every-four-years ITU Telecom World conference in Geneva. Microsoft and HP are expected to make announcements there.

Wow. I expected HP to move into this market, but I have to admit, I didn't expect it this soon.

I wonder what the annoucement will be about. They are rumoured to have a PPCPE out mid next year. I would expect a SmartPhone announcement would take anyway from that launch.

Very interesting.....

Mike Temporale
10-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I just put up a lot of money and bought a second hand Qtek 7070... could all progress stop for, lets say 6 months, so I can get on top of things, PLEASE :n00b:

I hate being a newbie... :x

You have to jump onboard at some point. Otherwise you'll always be waiting for the next great device. Enjoy what you have. Wait for the bugs on these new models to be found and fixed, then upgrade. Remember, ebay is your friend. :wink:

David McNamee
10-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Wow. I expected HP to move into this market, but I have to admit, I didn't expect it this soon.

Don't get too excited. The news reports just say that they'll announce something in the wireless space. But this is, after all, a telecom confernece! :D

TopDog
10-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Wait for the bugs on these new models to be found and fixed, then upgrade.
Good point, I've been a frontier on the Pocket PC front for years now, I think I'll stick with the Qtek 7070 until a PPCPE-device that meets all my criterias show up... (that would be the XDAII if it was a lot thinner and cheaper ;-))

greenmozart
10-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Let's see... should I allow myself to get all worked up and filled with anticipation? It's a bit like waiting for the Red Sox to win the World Series sometimes - so much pain but maybe THIS TIME will be worth it!! :lol:

Mike Temporale
10-14-2003, 01:47 PM

Don't get too excited. The news reports just say that they'll announce something in the wireless space. But this is, after all, a telecom confernece! :D

:( Oh well.

InformationWeek.com Article (http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15300076)

For its part, HP on Sunday advanced its plan to push hard on the wireless and mobile front by announcing a slew of consumer and business products and solutions.

Among them is a new line of business laptops that can be configured with wireless technology ranging from Bluetooth to 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g connectivity. The Compaq Business Notebook nc6000 and nc8000, as well as what HP is calling the Compaq Mobile Workstation nw8000, can be configured with a variety of wireless technologies, embedded security chips to protect the portables and the data on them, and an optional Smart Card reader for deploying additional security applications.

The new models range in price from $1,699 to $2,999.

HP also unveiled Mobile Printing for Pocket PC, software that allows printing from Pocket PC 2002 and 2003 devices to networked and wireless-connected printers. The software will be available for free downloading from the HP Web site on Oct. 20.

On the carrier side, HP launched its cx2600 Integrity server, which it claims is the first 64-bit Itanium-based server for telecom network and service providers. According to HP, the cx2600 will support network and wireless tasks such as fraud management, operations and business support services, and mobility management, as well as carry voice, data, and other media services.

Among its other rollouts in Switzerland, HP launched a $149 Bluetooth printer adapter for USB- and parallel-capable printers that makes them available for print chores from Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices, and it added support for Wi-Fi Protected Access to three models in its JetPrint printer servers