View Full Version : First Look at the Voq

Robert Levy
10-08-2003, 08:40 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.onlineblog.com/archives/2003_10_05_onlineblog_archive.html#106562822051172522' target='_blank'>http://www.onlineblog.com/archives/2003_10_05_onlineblog_archive.html#106562822051172522</a><br /><br /></div>Neil McIntosh of onlineblog.com has posted his first hand impressions of the Voq Smartphone:<br /><br />"First impressions: it's a nice smartphone, light years ahead of the Orange SPV I've moaned about recently. For a start it uses a 200MHz Intel PXA262 processor with stacked flash memory which means that - combined with a much-improved and adapted version of Microsoft's Smartphone software - the experience is much more snappy. There are some nice features Sierra Wireless has added on top of the OS, too, including a very fast and easy way to file and retrieve information locally, and from the web/network."<br /><br />Check out the linked article for more info including his impressions of the keyboard.

David McNamee
10-09-2003, 01:23 AM
I'm not a fan of keyboards on the phone, but this seems like a great way to go about it. I wonder if this signals a shift in the "one-handed operation" design goal?

greenmozart
10-09-2003, 02:16 PM
I don't think it does, per se. You still have one-handed operation for most of your needs - the keyboard is just there as an option for text-heavy input. I think its a great idea because it serves those of us who prefer the single-handed mode a majority of the time but gives data-centric users who enter LOTS of text a better option than any other input method. If it was CDMA I'd be tempted to betray my "clamshell only" mantra so I could have the keyboard option, as well.

Mike Temporale
10-10-2003, 12:51 PM
According to this article at CommsDesign (http://www.commsdesign.com/news/market_news/OEG20031010S0008) we won't be seeing this phone until mid 2004.

The first models, available commercially within six to nine months, will run on GSM/GPRS networks and the phones will be manufactured by Flextronics.

several operators in the US and Europe are already in trials with the Voq, which will be branded as phones from the operators that will partner with Sierra

The company has applied for patent protection to cover some novel hardware and software differentiators it has incorporated in the Voq product line.

Alright, the patent part is expected. That keyboard is a smart design, but the interesting part (I think) is the "Voq product line"?? Could there be other models already planned??

HailFire
10-10-2003, 08:41 PM
The Voq is definitely groundbreaking. For once, an OEM thought outside the box and gave users what they need. However, this phone is humongous and ugly. I hope this Voq is just a necessary first step on the way to the uber-device. IMHO, this phone needs to be about half the size and fold over twice, once to make the phone a clamshell and again to open the keyboard. Mix that with a 2MP camera and BT and I'll pay $800 for it. Hopefully the next devices in the "Voq line" will make larger strides.

Mike Temporale
10-11-2003, 12:45 AM
IMHO, this phone needs to be about half the size and fold over twice, once to make the phone a clamshell and again to open the keyboard. Mix that with a 2MP camera and BT and I'll pay $800 for it. Hopefully the next devices in the "Voq line" will make larger strides.

Well, not everyone wants clamshell. From what I read, it's the same size as the SPV. I think it just looks big. I would agree that it needs a camera and Bluetooth.