View Full Version : C|NET Video Featuring Motorola Smartphone

Jason Dunn
09-25-2003, 08:49 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/1601-2-5080001.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/1601-2-5080001.html</a><br /><br /></div>"ZDNet's Patrick Houston gets an early look at the newly released Motorola MPx200, the first GSM phone released in the United States that features Windows Mobile Software."<br /><br />This is a good video that focuses more on the Smartphone platform in general than the Motorola phone, but it does show just how tiny the new Moto phone is in comparison to the other Smartphones shown. If you're still unsure of how exactly Smartphones work, watch the video.

David Hughes
09-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Looks good.

I'm picking one of these up tomorrow and can't wait to try my first Smartphone!

TomB
09-25-2003, 11:30 PM
David I am in NYC and the folks who are supposed to be distributing it don't even have one. Where are you located? If in the USA, where are you picking it up?

Mike Temporale
09-26-2003, 03:01 AM
The content of the video is great. It really helps explain and show off the smartphone platform.

However, why would stand in front of a bright window and film into the light!?!? Isn't this a basic video / photo knowledge. :?

TANKERx
09-26-2003, 06:50 AM
The video was interesting, but the representative skipped some questions with wonderful waffle (take the 'wireless synchronisation' and 'how big is the OS' answer - this man should be in politics; "You have the option of connecting to your PC either through IR or ActiveSync").

Granted, this was a video for geeks, but it does show how some organisations are expecting users to make the effort of learning techno-jargon instead of explaining things in simple terms.

As far as I'm concerned, he wasn't speaking the language of people who want to just use a phone without having to think of 'key configuration' and 'e-mail redirection solutions'. Like, huh?

I think that manufacturers need to start to think like users and not like developers and start speaking english.

If Microsoft really want to sell phones to the general consumer, they're going to have to start communicating their vision in a language my mum (mom) will understand.

:oops: EDIT: I just read the cross-post over on PocketPCThoughts and it seems that my thoughts were nowhere near original!

David Hughes
09-26-2003, 08:54 AM
David I am in NYC and the folks who are supposed to be distributing it don't even have one. Where are you located? If in the USA, where are you picking it up?

Hi TomB

I'm in the UK. I have a contact at Motorola and have been approved to review the MPx200 for PPCW.net

I'm picking the phone up this evening so should have a busy weekend :)

It's the first Smartphone I've used so I'm doubly interested in both the OS and the Motorola interpretation of it plus Moto's hardware which is usually excellent.

TomB
09-26-2003, 03:14 PM
David, thanks. When you check it try video. MS Windows Media Player is supposed to only hit 160 x 120 while PocketTV should hit fullscreen. Video on the Nokia 3650 is terrible at 10fps x 176 x 144 so it will be interesting to hear performance on your phone. Obviously you should test a file compressed for that phone's resolution and bitrate. I have no clue what that is - your contact should provide that info. ALSO I would very much appreciate it if your contact can tell you who in NYC has a phone for tests. AT&T wireless doesn't and I am supposed to demo multimedia to them next week.

Flash_Gordon
09-27-2003, 03:38 AM
TANKERx, Thanks for the feedback.

TomB
09-27-2003, 05:52 AM
Flash, it was obvious from your language you were drawing on weeks of corporate presentations. Of course what no one knows here is that it is real hard to shift gears with lights blinding you and a camera in your face - your thumping heart always gets in the way. One thing to do next time though is ask for a second take. Also, now that you have been through it and read some feedback it will be easy to prepare for your next interviews. You've only got 15 to 30 seconds so focus on all the things none of the other phones can do and save the ten cent words for your PowerPoint presentations. Microsoft has a great media center, you might want to ask the boys down there to drill you a bit.

BTW - it sure would be nice if you were to check your voice mail every now and then ;).

DubWireless
09-30-2003, 12:08 AM
to save re-typing ;)

re: http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32520#32520

David Hughes
09-30-2003, 06:06 PM
David, thanks. When you check it try video. MS Windows Media Player is supposed to only hit 160 x 120 while PocketTV should hit fullscreen. Video on the Nokia 3650 is terrible at 10fps x 176 x 144 so it will be interesting to hear performance on your phone. Obviously you should test a file compressed for that phone's resolution and bitrate. I have no clue what that is - your contact should provide that info. ALSO I would very much appreciate it if your contact can tell you who in NYC has a phone for tests. AT&T wireless doesn't and I am supposed to demo multimedia to them next week.

Hi there

My review will be published early next week but in advance of that... video is impressive.

Pocket TV is playing an MPEG movie (of the right ratio for the MPx) at 25fps - rotated through 90 degress for widescreen :wink:

I don't have any decent clips for Media Player but it seems pretty good.

If you have suitable movies that I can use to test PM me.

This phone is quick. I use a 2210 on a daily basis and this is not noticeably slower for PIM usage.