View Full Version : Phone locking and application signing questions

mar2k
09-09-2003, 03:24 PM
OK, pardon my ignorance but I have a question in regards to "unlocking" phones.

I hear a lot of talk about Smartphones being unlocked to allow them to run unsigned applications. I also hear about phone being unlocked to allow them to be used with different carriers. So if you have a phone that is unlocked and can run on a different carrier, is it also automatically unlocked to be able to run unsigned applications. Does the requirement that an application be signed come from the carrier or is it part of the Smartphone OS?

Bottom line, if you unlock a phone from a particular wireless GSM carrier and want to use it on another GSM carrier, are you going to be be able to run unsigned applications or will that requirement carry over too? (In other words, is there a separate process to unlock a phone from the application signing requirement or is it all the same?)

Gorskar
09-27-2003, 02:37 AM
To answer your question the software lock is completely separate from the network lock. You can unlock one without affecting the other.

Thats the short answer, now for the long one...

Orange SPV and SPVe100s come both network and application locked. So they can only use orange SIM cards, and only run applications signed by a trusted signing body.

Both of these locks can be removed. The application lock can be removed via a webpage that Orange themselves supply. The network lock can be removed by a simple application that gets the unlock code. (e100s have a newer bootloader so you need to mess around and change the bootloader before it will run. So it can still be done, just more hastle.)

Most other tanager models like the i-mate come with both locks already removed. Later Smart-Amazing-Phone models (as supplied in the Philipines) are network locked, but can be unlocked as detailed above.

The Mitac Mio8380 is network unlocked, but application locked. This can be removed by applying an unlocked ROM, or (soon) by an official Mitac webpage.

mar2k
10-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Thank you for the answer. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I understand!!!

trachy
10-10-2003, 02:40 PM
I was just about to post the same question, so thank from me too for the info. As for the application locks, who's the trusted signing body that 'signs' the applications? Is it the hardware manufacturer, wireless provider, Microsoft, or a third party?

Also, how can I find out of if the application I want to install on my phone is signed? Does the developer usually publicize that when they release it?

Finally, does anyone know the application lock status on the upcoming MPx200? Seems I saw someone ask this question already, but I don't remember it being answered.

Thanks in advance.

- Drew