View Full Version : Dopod Announces Smartphone 2003 Device

Jason Dunn
08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.southtele.com/download/dopod/dpd.html' target='_blank'>http://www.southtele.com/download/dopod/dpd.html</a><br /><br /></div>Most of the world is still waiting for a Smartphone 2002 device to come out, and a Chinese company named Dopod is releasing a Smartphone based on Windows Mobile 2003. Dopod sells to the carriers, of which there are only two in China (so a source tells me). The Dopod Smartphone is a modified HTC Canary design, similar to the Orange SPV, only with more memory. I'm unsure as to whether the screen will be back-lit like the Tanager, or side-lit like the Canary design. If you wait for the painfully slow Flash presentation to load, you'll see the following specifications:<br /><br />• Smartphone 2003 OS<br />• 32 MB Flash ROM , 32 SDRAM <br />• 119.9 mm x 50.1 mm x 23.5 mm <br />• Texas-Instruments OMAP CPU at 133 MHz<br />• 126 grams<br />• 1000 mAH<br />• MMC/SD slot<br />• GSM: 900 / 1800 /1900 <br />• GPRS & MMS<br /><br />They're no stranger to Microsoft software - they also sell the Dopod 686, which is XDA-type Pocket PC Phone Edition device.

Mike Temporale
08-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Can anyone translate?? Is there a date listed for when they will begin shipping to the carriers?

I'm happy to hear the 2003 devices will be shipping. Just need to know when? and when in North America?

pine
08-07-2003, 02:47 AM
it is the second time in a week I saw the coolest pda+phone product first made and markerted by chinese company, btw I am a chinese, which deserves attentions. the other one is a device similar to XDA but quite a lot smaller and looks cooler, has better specs than XDA. see http://appserver.lenovo.com/Product/Product_Mobil/Product_detail.asp?productid=2143.

for this smartphone item, looks really cool. I can do the translation.
some specs. 64k reflective screen, 16 bits natural stereo sound, talk time 3 hours, standby 100 hours, supports up to several GB SD/MMC card, infred, usb, serial port, 126g including battery.

accessories, battery, digital camera, SD card, usb cradle, etc.

for other stuff on screen, mostly standard features claimed by all smartphones such as instant messages, mp3, on-line video/audio , portal website, email (supports web based popular free email services in china),
flash, sound recorder, photos in contact, multimedia messages, games.

for the contents on the phone screen, there are:
china mobile
date time
no recent appointment
SMS
(some kind of web portal service not sure), music
news, QQ
scene mode: normal
start contact

you might wonder what is qq
qq is an instant message software made by chinese company. it is dominant in china. in my opinion, far cooler a piece of software than ICQ/MSN, small, portable, supports off-line messages that are stored and relayed by server, as well as all other functions in normal IM software. well, only in chinese though.

if you haven't been in china, you probably cant image how many people use cell phone and how it becomes a culture in china. totally different concept than in american. many young people can easily spare 1/10 of their salaries to pay cell phone bill. many will replace phones just because it looks cooler.