View Full Version : T-Mobile in the SE USA

medic119
07-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Ok, I just switched carriers to T-Mobile in Alabama, USA. I got the Sony Ericsson T610 with the deal (although I really wanted a T68i, I don't need all the extra crap. I may try trading it at the local store). The T-Mobile network is GSM and their phones use SIMs.

My question is if I were to acquire a Tanager, SPV, etc could I pop in my Sim and have the phone work on the network? T-Mobile is clueless, although they are the sole carrier for the PocketPC Phone Editions in this area.

I think it would work, but I would like to know if anyone has tried this.

RDC
07-23-2003, 03:52 PM
My question is if I were to acquire a Tanager, SPV, etc could I pop in my Sim and have the phone work on the network?

Yes.

Robert Levy
07-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Yup - just pop in any SIM. I've been using T-Mobile in Virginia for several months with no trouble.

Chronos
07-23-2003, 04:32 PM
I've used T-Mobile/VoiceStream in the DC area for about 2 1/2 years. No problems, as long as you stay in the major metro areas and Interstates.

Yep- just plug in the SIM card (and set the Smartphone to "PCS") and you'll be off and running in no time! I used to own a PPCPE and found migrating is simple and easy. Just be certain to jot down your GPRS settings- you'll need them.

Spongebob
07-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Try it out, as long as that phone isnt locked to a certain carrier, you will be able to use it with your sim:)

RDC
07-23-2003, 05:14 PM
...I got the Sony Ericsson T610...

Um, this phone is supposed to be pretty sweet. Are you sure that it doesn't meet your current needs?

The SE website claims PC synchronization. Unless you have some absolute Smartphone software requirements, you might want to give the T610 a chance.

Janak Parekh
07-23-2003, 05:32 PM
...I got the Sony Ericsson T610...
Um, this phone is supposed to be pretty sweet. Are you sure that it doesn't meet your current needs?
Well, it's about as powerful as non-Smartphones get. I'm pretty sure the device isn't running Symbian, so you're limited in third-party applications or full sync capabilities (i.e., as many Outlook fields as a Smartphone supports). That said, it has built-in BT and a camera, and as such it's a nice phone that has great resale value if you settle on a Smartphone.

Good luck! :)

--janak

RDC
07-23-2003, 05:41 PM
...you're limited in third-party applications or full sync capabilities (i.e., as many Outlook fields as a Smartphone supports).

Good point. For my requirements, that would suck.

lsbeller
07-24-2003, 01:10 AM
This is great news! But let me make sure I understand -- since I have T-mobile already, I can buy a Tanger smart phone and insert my current SIM chip?

I was considering the Sony Ericsson p800 but row this may broaden my choices!

Please correct me if I am missing this.

Steve

spg
07-24-2003, 01:36 AM
This is great news! But let me make sure I understand -- since I have T-mobile already, I can buy a Tanger smart phone and insert my current SIM chip?

I was considering the Sony Ericsson p800 but row this may broaden my choices!

Please correct me if I am missing this.

Yes, from my understanding of everything that should work fine. I don't own a Smartphone yet, so I haven't tried it personally, but that is what I have heard from all the other posts and users here.

encece
07-24-2003, 01:41 AM
Definitely true!
Of course...you need to be sure the phone is SIM unlocked
Then you should application unlock the phone (decertify)...if needed.
Then you need to set up you TMobile Settings for GPRS, WAP and MMS.

Then....you're good to go!

lsbeller
07-24-2003, 05:39 AM
wow! This is great news. I want a smart phone now to compliment my Tablet PC but I thought my only real choice was the p800. BTW, does anyone have a link to a good comparison b/t the Tanger and p800? I would like to stay with the MS OS but want to make a good decision.

Steve

lsbeller
07-24-2003, 05:42 AM
P.S. Thanks for the reply, Spencer. I visit your site every day! Keep up the good work! This was posted with my TC1000!

Steve

Chronos
07-25-2003, 03:49 PM
I've seen discussions, but no clear comparo. I'd be interested to see a side-by-side too.

medic119
07-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Well I got my T-610 from T-Mobile. Pairing it to my HP 2215 was a breeze, and although its no MS Smartphone, its pretty impressive as far as these things go. The phone even allows for standard internet dial-ins and POP3 Access from inside the phone, but there is no built-in Browser to the regular net, just for T-Zones and WAP. The phone has built in support for personal rings, voice dialing, and Personal Pictures (ie pictures of the caller), so I guess it has one up there.

The reason I wanted a Tanager though was its open ended-ness. Lots of 3rd party software and nothing special needed to sync. With the T-610 I am limited to what Sony/T-Mobile decides to offer at whatever price point they set. This seems to include everything but pictures (which are gif & jpg). Also I have to use Thier sync program to sync the phone to Outlook, yet they don't provide a sync cable with the unit. Thats another $40USD! I don't have IR or Bluetooth in my laptop, so for now I am just pushing contacts to the phone via my 2215.

Connecting the 2215 to the Phone then to the net was a breeze. I was pleasantly surprised, given the history of connection mangler. I just paired the devices, contacted T-Mobile to get the Internet settings and created a new connection with those settings. Now whenever I connect to the phone via BT, One click and I dial in, no probs.

Anyway, I have been using the setup for the past few days to retrieve e-mail, and browse sites (since I opted for T-Mobile's unlimited Internet plan), and I am happy for now.