View Full Version : Smartphone How To....

_-_Goldfinger_-_
07-11-2003, 06:43 PM
I have been a long time PPC user and have just heard about smartphones. I have a couple of questions about them if anyone can answer.

1.) How to they work with cellular services?

2.) If I get one from overseas, can I use any sim card to use it with my current provider?

3.) How compatable is the software with PocketPC 2002?

4.)Where can I get one in the US?

Thank you in advance for any help.

jproudfo
07-11-2003, 08:49 PM
1) What do you mean by this? If you are talking about the different cell bands/technologies, most of the phones that have been released are dual or tri band GSM/GPRS devices. Apparently CDMA phones are in development, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :)

2) Yes, it should work if you get a phone that is SIM unlocked. I purchased an unlocked development SPV from Orange, several months ago, and have been using it in Canada and the U.S. without any problems.

3) From a end-user perspective, they aren't really compatible, at all. You will need to get software that been specifically designed and developed for the Smartphone screen and interface methods. PocketPC software won't work on Smartphones.

4) Good luck. :) If you don't want to order one from overseas, maybe try Ebay. I haven't seen any U.S. retailers or Mobile carriers who currently carry any MS Smartphone based products. It's only a matter of time, though.

I hope that helps.

_-_Goldfinger_-_
07-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I never thought of looking at ebay for a phone. I also looked at the development version from Microsoft. I thought that you could buy any phone and put your own sim card in it. I guess if I want to do that, I would need to buy the development version. Thanks for your help.

encece
07-16-2003, 03:46 AM
The Orange SPV and Tanagers are easily able to be unlocked. You are not restricted to buy the DevKit Phone.

Chronos
07-16-2003, 03:57 AM
As stated earlier, you can find SIM and application unlocked SPVs and SPVXs on ebay and many FST forums. I got my Tanager/SPVx off of ebay- it is both SIM and application unlocked. Also, as noted, they are easily unlocked if required.