View Full Version : Tanager on the way

Chronos
07-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Looks like I'll get my new Tanager this afternoon! Like Christmas in July! I'm sure I'll spend an inordinate amount of time tweaking, breaking, and fixing the damn thing this weekend in a lustful zeal of discovery.

Yes. 8O

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Ohhh...I'm jealous of you! I really want a Tanager, but I can't quite justify the cost for just a better screen than my SPV. If it was faster, then maybe... ;-)

Chronos
07-03-2003, 09:55 PM
It arrived- what a BEAUTY! Heading home soon, so I'll play with it later. What a great little machine. 8O

Cyberjoy
07-04-2003, 02:03 PM
I got one already.. It's great! Much better screen then my "old" SPV and it's faster.

I shot some foto's:

http://wouter.pocketpc-club.nl/tan1.jpg

http://wouter.pocketpc-club.nl/tan2.jpg

spacemonkey
07-04-2003, 03:21 PM
I got one already.. It's great! Much better screen then my "old" SPV and it's faster.

It's not faster... it's exactly the same processor and memory as the SPV... It may seem faster cos it's new and doesn't have all your old apps installed on it slowing it down, and possibly because it will have a newer ROM version (maybe).

The ONLY difference between tanager and spv is the screen and the keypad. If you pull them both apart you'll find the internal boards are exactly the same.

Jason Dunn
07-04-2003, 08:02 PM
It's not faster... it's exactly the same processor and memory as the SPV... It may seem faster cos it's new and doesn't have all your old apps installed on it slowing it down, and possibly because it will have a newer ROM version (maybe).

Yeah, it's funny how bloated and slow these devices can get over time - a fresh start is a good thing sometimes! :D

Cyberjoy
07-05-2003, 01:44 PM

The ONLY difference between tanager and spv is the screen and the keypad. If you pull them both apart you'll find the internal boards are exactly the same.

I agree. But what IS faster is the refreshing speed of the camera. I held my SPV and the SPV E-100 next to each other and the refreshing speed of the E-100 was much higher.

I love this device. To bad it hasn't got bluetooth yet though. I would bring my E-100 and iPAQ then .. instead of my IPAQ+T68i OR the E-100.

ppcsurfr
07-06-2003, 09:42 AM
Ohhh...I'm jealous of you! I really want a Tanager, but I can't quite justify the cost for just a better screen than my SPV. If it was faster, then maybe... ;-)

The better keypad, the brighter screen, the real joystick... the Tanager is much better than the Canary in several ways, and also, if you get the PPCW.Net i-Mate, you get a newer ROM too... I guess that should answer your maybe... :)

So go on and call Arne for a brand new PPCW.Net i-Mate now...

:D

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

entropy1980
07-08-2003, 01:38 AM
must restrain self...put... credit card away.... arrrgggg :D

fmcpherson
07-08-2003, 02:49 AM
I noticed the unites that Arne is selling have SDIO slots. Anyone know if a Bluetooth SD card will work on the device? Since Inbox is so limiting on the Smartphone I would need to use a Pocket PC to do the bulk of my email, which I could do with a Smartphone if I can set up a Bluetooth connection.

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 02:57 AM
BT enabled phone.

As much I feel that BT is a pain, wireless headset is one area that BT really shines right now. When will there be a good phone available with integrated Bluetooth?

encece
07-08-2003, 03:27 AM
I'm not sure if the BlueTooth drivers are there. I know for a fact that the Toshiba BT card does not have a headset profile , so useing a BT headset is out for the moment until they get that squared away. But I'm not sure about other BT applications. I'll check around.

Cyberjoy
07-08-2003, 07:52 AM
No, the smartphone 2002 OS does not support bluetooth by it self. We tested it with a toshiba BT SD card and it doesn't work. :(

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Not to worry... BT should be supported in Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone...

It should be coming out before the end of the year... I hope...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 09:47 AM
It should be coming out before the end of the year... I hope...

I guess I will get a newer SmartPhone at the end of the year.

DubWireless
07-10-2003, 05:01 AM
there was a buzz about the Socket BT SD card working with MS Smartphones (http://www.socketcom.com/about/press/read.asp?ID=66) at the launch last Oct - didn't hear anything since though :?

jenneth
07-10-2003, 12:59 PM

Yeah, it's funny how bloated and slow these devices can get over time - a fresh start is a good thing sometimes! :D

IMHO the "Tanager" is faster than the SPV. I've been using the SPV for a couple of months now, and recently had to hard reset. Coincidentally got a Tanager (called the Qtek 7070 in Australia) in for review at the same time and the speed differences were noticeable with just the speed with which menus popped up and screen redraw. As they have the same innards, I'm putting it down to the ROM version on the Tanagers.

ppcsurfr
07-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Hi Jenneth,

Yep! It is most probably the ROM version loaded into it.

I'm currently runing the latest ROM available ROM 1.5.0.28 with Radio Version 1.31.10 and it runs significantly faster than the previous ROM installed. The refresh rate of the Camera is even faster and it seems that I have more useable memory as compared to the previous ROM version... which was 1.3.7.8.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo