View Full Version : Zune Thoughts: Apparently We're Not "Pants"

Jason Dunn
10-11-2006, 01:58 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://laurencetimms.com/2006/09/zune-sites-good-bad-and-ugly.html' target='_blank'>http://laurencetimms.com/2006/09/zune-sites-good-bad-and-ugly.html</a><br /><br /></div>One of the tried and true methods of getting traffic to your Web site in the blogosphere is to say something controversial, and watch as everyone links to you, usually with terms like &quot;look at what this idiot is saying&quot;. As the saying goes - there's no such thing as bad publicity, though getting traffic and keeping traffic are very different things. Along these lines, some guy named Laurence Timms posting on his blog, <span style="font-style: italic;">the laurence timms state machine</span>, created a <a href="http://laurencetimms.com/2006/09/zune-sites-good-bad-and-ugly.html" target="_blank">controversial Zune-related post</a>. I am of course &quot;feeding the machine&quot; by linking to him, but I'm not one of those pretentious types that posts about something then expects the reader to go find it on their own. Here's what Timms said about Zune Thoughts, which gave me a good chuckle:<br /><br /><span style="font-style: italic;">&quot;zunethoughts.com - a decent Zune blog by Darius Wey, with original content, comment and opinion. Scores well for putting effort into his content rather than throwing up empty forums and faqs.&quot;</span><br /><br />Evidently I didn't post much the day Timms visited the site, or Darius was the first name he saw and thought it was the only name on the site. The interesting thing isn't that some unknown blogger thinks that Zune Thoughts is decent, and many other Zune blogs are not: I was shocked to see over 70 Zune blogs in total on that list. SEVENTY. I had thought there were about thirty in total, though I had never done any exhaustive searches. That's a lot of Web sites for a product that isn't shipping yet - I wonder, how many of them will be around a year from now? I've already noticed a few sites that haven't been updated since mid-September. It's very interesting to me how many Zune sites there are, I think largely because it's so easy to register a domain, open a Blogger account, and BOOM, you're a Zune Blogger.<br /><br />As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier - I've always been a big believer in the strength of the community, so as long as everyone is being friendly and working toward the success of the Zune, let a thousand Zune sites bloom...

Aaron Roma
10-11-2006, 02:12 PM
So wait... this isn't a Darius blog?

Jason Dunn
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM

Hey, don't make me lock your account! :D

Darius Wey
10-12-2006, 03:15 AM

Hah, I haven't even had time to get my own personal blog rolling yet. ;)

Aaron Roma
10-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Darius, we all know that with that post count you've got going on over on PPCT that you are slowly trying to take over! :p