View Full Version : Arrrgh, the indecision... Help!

martin_ayton
12-14-2010, 05:51 PM
OK, it's upgrade time. Time to wave goodbye to Windows Mobile and jump ship to Android. So, I'm looking at the HTC Desire HD and the Samsung Galaxy S. I admit that I'm tempted by the 'pure Google' of the Nexus S, but it's deep-breath expensive and I can't see that it offers anything that justifies the price hike. It also lacks a few things that are in its Galaxy S stable mate which have me scratching my head. So scratch that idea and concentrate on the Desire HD and the Galaxy S: Which one?

I like features of both. The Samsung's super AMOLED sounds great, but some people don't like the colour saturation. The Desire HD's screen is *huge* - can I deal with that? They both have 1GHz processors which both have their (vocal) supporters. I would feel comfortable with the HTC Sense UI - it might make the transition from WM easier, but people say good things about TouchWiz (under Froyo 2.2) . I'm spinning in indecision, which is not like me at all. I need help, people - I can't 'phone any friends who would know much about this, I've done the 50:50, so now it's 'ask the audience:' Which would you choose?

Sven Johannsen
12-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Hate to add to the options with something you may have already dismissed for whatever reason, but, given Windows Phone 7 any thought? I was a Windows Mobile guy forever, and picked up an iPhone which is nice, but running an HD7 at this point. If you want unfetterred customization, maybe even more than was possible on WM, I guess Android supplies that. I just found that I got my WM set up and left it alone. My WP7 seems to provide what I need on the home screen and has the apps I need, with a very usable user interface. I haven't spent most of my time screwing with my phone, rather using it. If you like social networking, games (XBox), and music (Zune), it really is well integrated out of the box with little need to futz with it to get it working. Not sure I get the appeal of Android, given the complaints about Windows Moble. Android seems very much a small desktop metaphore, which is what everyone complained about with WM. Granted WP7 needs some work, but it really seems MS is working on it, and the major pain points will be taken care of relatively quickly.

martin_ayton
12-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Sven, thanks for replying. Yes, I have thought about WP7 but this version is not for me: It lacks too many features that I use all the time, preferring to concentrate on things like gaming which I have next to no interest in. We'll see how the platform develops though - I have not decided to spurn it forever.

Anyone else have any thoughts on my Desire HD / Galaxy S dilemma?

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-15-2010, 09:17 AM
I really like the Nexus S simply for the Google Phone bit: There's a lot to be said for being able to receive updates quickly.

On the Desire HD: I had the HD2 (similar hardware), and liked the 4.3" screen a lot. I makes everything so tiny. My main complaint about it would be HTC's insistence on saddling it with a 1230mAh battery; only the EVO 4G has a 1500mAh battery. Also, the unibody design meas extended batteries are out of the question.

On the Galaxy S: If you're in the US, there'll be different versions to choose from. The default ROTW Galaxy S is a bit plain, and I'm bloody annoyed by Samsung dropping the Search button from the vanilla version. You don't lose that much with a 4" screen, and SAMOLED is very nice. Some might not like the pentile layout though.

One final thought: You also need to see if you like either customisations, both Touchwiz and Sense. Personally I don't want either, so again, it's the Nexus S for me. :P

martin_ayton
12-15-2010, 05:30 PM
The Samsung Galaxy S. The crappy battery on the Desire HD was what killed that option. I did look at the Nexus S again, but Carphone Warehouse - whilst selling them here in the UK - don't actually appear to *have* any :rolleyes:. The Galaxy S in my hand will be worth more than the Nexus S in the brochure...

Now, how do I go about rooting this thing?