View Full Version : Android Newbie -- how to re-install market apps after O/S change

Don Tolson
10-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi guys... sorry, but I'm a newbie to Android...

I have Destinator 9 which I downloaded from the market and installed on my XPeria X10 running android 1.6. I understand that Sony-Ericsson and Rogers are planning an upgrade to 2.1 in the next couple of months and I'm wondering what will happen to Destinator 9?

In the WindowsMobile world, I would move the install app and it's associated data (maps) to a SD card or off-phone storage, then re-install after the operating system upgrade.

But I'm not sure how this works with apps downloaded from the Android Marketplace?

How does this work?

Thanks.

Jon Westfall
10-02-2010, 05:00 PM
The app will re-download either automatically, or once you sign in with your Google Account you'll find it under the "Downloads" section of the Android Marketplace, ready to be re-downloaded.

The data is a bit trickier. Some apps support backing it up to the cloud or SD card, which is the best route. However in some cases, the data you've entered is gone unless you have Root and use something like Titanium Backup to grab the app+the data. So a bit easier than WinMo in that you don't have keep the CAB around somewhere, but a bit more annoying if the data wasn't backed up to cloud/SD.

Jon.

Don Tolson
10-02-2010, 07:46 PM
The app will re-download either automatically, or once you sign in with your Google Account you'll find it under the "Downloads" section of the Android Marketplace, ready to be re-downloaded.

The data is a bit trickier. Some apps support backing it up to the cloud or SD card, which is the best route. However in some cases, the data you've entered is gone unless you have Root and use something like Titanium Backup to grab the app+the data. So a bit easier than WinMo in that you don't have keep the CAB around somewhere, but a bit more annoying if the data wasn't backed up to cloud/SD.

Jon.
Thanks, Jon. I think it will work out fine. The map data was downloaded to the SD card anyway.