Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Verizon Clearing The Deck

http://www.wmexperts.com/verizons-w...e-end-life-list

Every Windows Mobile device that Verizon is currently offering, including the HTC Touch Pro 2 and the Samsung Omnia 2, will be off the shelf by the first quarter of next year according to a leaked end-of-life document. You can take this one of two ways - either Verizon is completely fed up with Microsoft after the Kin debacle, or they're placing a big bet on Windows Phone 7. I wouldn't lay odds either way. Hit the link for the details.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Fritzly
Sage

First Quarter 2011 means six months from now; Verizon could just see how W7 launch will go and then jump on the wagon........
Sure doing this they might miss the deal MS is surely ofering to companies lining up for the launch but.....

Old 08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein View Post
Verizon is completely fed up with Microsoft after the Kin debacle,

I think it is fair to call the whole Kin thing a debacle (and I speak as someone who owns one), but I maintain we don't know to this day who or what was really behind all of that and the reasons its played out like it did.

Verizon has made it clear recently even without the Kin experience that it is increasingly tied to Google. The entire Verizon/Google plan to dominate the internet, oh, excuse me: preserve the internet is a demonstration the companies have formed a strategic relationship that may well involve limiting choice in phone OS as well.

I can't fault Verizon for wanting to drop Windows Mobile 6.5 phones from its line-up, particularly within the limited shelf space of a retail store. There may be room for WinMo in online sales. Verizon will sell WinPho 7 phones if the public decides they want them. If they don't, that simply shows that they are deeper into their alliance with Google than we currently know.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 AM
makic
Ponderer
Default Means Nothing

I vote that this means absolutely nothing. Every single phone they have listed (including all of their Android phones) are listed with an end of life date no later than March 2011. Either they are going out of business in March, or they anticipate that with technology advancements as they are, the current crop of phones will be outdated in 7 months. I suspect the latter is more accurate.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein View Post
Every Windows Mobile device that Verizon is currently offering, including the HTC Touch Pro 2 and the Samsung Omnia 2, will be off the shelf by the first quarter of next year according to a leaked end-of-life document. You can take this one of two ways - either Verizon is completely fed up with Microsoft after the Kin debacle, or they're placing a big bet on Windows Phone 7....

Nearly impossible to purchase a Windows Mobile Phone from AT&T either: we just looked, and neither their web store nor any of the local outlets had stock of the Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2) - although these still appear to be available elsewhere.

FWIW, comment from our normal AT&T store was 1) no-one buys Windows Mobile anymore, so why stock them?, and 2) we MAY carry a sampling of Windows Phone 7 devices, but probably not in any quantity, and probably not as many models as the AT&T Online store will carry (and, even then, you may have to visit the Premier or Business store online to find them...).

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM
ACD_Bill
Neophyte

My take is this; somewhat in agreement withmakic, this means pretty much nothing as far as it goes. However, it is clear that Verizon is increasingly moving towards Android with their deals with Motorola and their branding of the "Droid" name. This would tie in to their market need to feature cool iPhone alternatives for their customers.

As to WinMo 6.5, well, it is pretty much a forgone conclusion that it will go away fairly soon. I consider this a shame, 6.5 is very business friendly (recently dumped my iPhone to go back to WinMo). Microsoft appears to be aiming their sights directly on the consumer market so pretty soon the business market will have to rely solely on BB.

On a personal note, from what I have seen so far, I have zero interest in WP7. I'll stick with my WinMo 6.5 as long as I can then I'll load an Android ROM on my HD2.