Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Developers and Windows Phone 7

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...-developers.ars

"As cringe-inducingly awful as it was when Steve Ballmer got up on stage to sweat and holler about developers (developers, developers, developers...), the guy had a point. What Ballmer was, uh, explaining to the attendant masses of Microsoft salespeople was that developers -- third-party developers writing software for Microsoft's operating system, leveraging Microsoft's server software, writing using Microsoft development tools -- were critically important to the company."

We want to showcase two articles here today. First Ars Technica has an editorial outlining just why getting developers onboard Windows Phone 7 will make or break the platform. Second, Justin James at TechRepublic offers a developer's viewpoint of WP7 - the good, the bad, and the (really) ugly. Both articles are worth the price of admission.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Give me a free set of development tools and a phone to test on, and I'm onboard

Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
wspears868
Pupil

I have had a MS PDA or MS smartphone since the 90's. However, for three reasons, I suspect that my next phone will be an Android and not MS Windows Phone 7. In decending priority, the reasons are listed below. First, I can't use any of my old software. If I have to start from scratch, there is no reason not to switch to a new operating system. Second, I can no longer multi-task except for some in-built MS software. I rely in 3rd party software, and its nice to listen to music on a 3rd party software while building a spreadsheet with Planmaker or doing miscellaneous calculations. And finally, I can't cut and paste. I don't do this much; but, when I do, I find it very helpful.

Last edited by wspears868; 08-16-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspears868 View Post
I have had a MS PDA or MS smartphone since the 90's. However, for three reasons, I suspect that my next phone will be an Android and not MS Windows Phone 7.
Probably me too --

MS Windows 7 won't let me use my current WM 6 software, so if I have to start from scratch why not go with Android when my old Tytn II dies?