Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default HTC Gets WP7 Orders from AT&T, Orange

http://news.cens.com/cens/html/en/n...nner_33172.html

"Taipei, Aug. 10, 2010 (CENS)--High Tech Computer Corp. (HTC), a world-caliber supplier of smartphones, has reportedly received orders from AT&T and Orange for its newly debuted Windows Phone 7 phone, which will be launched in the U.S. and some European countries in the fourth quarter of this year, in an effort to cash in on year-end sales booms, according to industry sources. In fact, Microsoft`s chief operating officer Kevin Turner has confirmed that the world`s first WP7 phone will be available in the U.S. and Europe in October or November, implying that among WP7-powered hardware developers as HTC, Asus, Samsung, LG and Dell, who have been engaged in development of such phones, some have been set to ship out their models."

I'm a bit concerned that we've heard too much about AT&T carrying WP7 and not enough about T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint carrying it. Could this mean they don't actually have plans to carry WP7 at launch, or do they simply have an easier time keeping their leaks in check? Is WP7 doomed if only 1 major carrier per country carries it?

Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
efjay
Theorist

The other US carriers seem to have hitched their wagons firmly to android, Verizon in particular so I wouldnt be surprised to see them hold back any launches till after at&t have done theirs to guage market reaction. As for Europe, I expect all major carriers to be on board at launch as its much more competitive there and they cant afford to be left behind if WP7 takes off in a big way.

As for being doomed by being on 1 carrier, maybe it'll grow slower than is desirable but hardly doomed.

Last edited by efjay; 08-10-2010 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Fritzly
Sage

While in the US it seems feasable that AT&T only will have the WP7 in Europe the situation is different: the vast majority of phones are sold SIM Free, it is unlawful to sell devices only locked to a Carrier so I am pretty sure that you will be able to go in a store and buy a WP7 device with no strings attached; exactly as I did when I bought my iPhone 3G years ago.

Said that the mother of the imbecils is always pregnant so a surprise is always possible.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

I really hope that all carriers pick up Windows Phone 7. In my opinion, this was one of the key drivers of success for Android. In addition, going to carriers where the iPhone is not available also helps drive sells.