Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts News

Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Mark Hurd, HP CEO, Resigns Under Storm of Controversy

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/...-investigation/

"Wild news out of HP just now -- CEO Mark Hurd has just resigned over a sexual harassment investigation. Hurd and the HP's board of directors decided that he should resign following a sexual harassment claim against Hurd and HP by a former marketing contractor -- HP claims that although there was no violation of its sexual harassment policy, Hurd violated the company's standards of business conduct by submitting inaccurate expense reports that covered his relationship with the contractor."

Absolute power corrupting absolutely? You betcha'. HP acted fast on this one - and it came to the fore because the woman involved had an attorney and contacted HP. Lots of missing information here, but I find it depressing that in typical white-collar fashion, when someone gets caught doing something wrong, they don't get punished - they get rewarded with a $12 million dollar severance package and stock options. Seriously, what the hell? What a morally-inverted world we live in...equally interesting that Engadget doesn't mention Hurd is married and has two kids.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Well, I'll play devil's advocate: Technically he's innocent until proven otherwise in an open forum. Now imagine you're in this situation: You flirt a bit heavily with a subordinate at your job. You lead her on a bit, and decide to break it off (perhaps after your wife and kids find out). You haven't done anything as bad as even a kiss, but your would-be mistress decides she's going to claim you did more. Now even though you're innocent, what would you do:

1. Stay, fight a battle in which you'll certainly be cast as the bad guy, most likely lose and leave in disgrace, perhaps without any severance package.

2. Leave immediately. Take the severance, be disgraced, but move on quickly.

If I were in a situation like that, I'd probably take #2, just to get things over with.

Now I'm not saying Hurd is innocent here, given the track record of these sorts of things, he probably isn't. But I do see alternate reasons why he may decide to cut, run, and take a big payout rather than try to fight. As for punishment, I'll let God judge that one, and pay it out as needed!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Fritzly
Sage

The guy is surely an idiot on two counts:

First: never, never get involved with someone you work wit; date your doctor secretary, not your one.

Second: with the amount of money this guy was surely earning trying to pass to the company whatever amount he recorded as expenses, even if it was several tousands, is just plain stupid. You want to flirt: go to the bank and get cash, do not go around with your car and if you do at least do not use bridges or any other road with an electronic pass to pay the toll, etc. etc.

I do not get in the moral aspects: I do not know if he was happy with his family, etc. etc.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
I do not get in the moral aspects: I do not know if he was happy with his family, etc. etc.
Am I understanding you correctly? You're saying that if he was unhappy with his family, etc., it justifies him cheating on his wife? Are you serious? And are you married?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

Just an update. Media outlets are reporting that the lady in question is Jodie Fisher, who worked for HP between 2007 and 2009.

As for the accusations themselves, it is a bit difficult to say without any additional information. Stepping down was inevitable, regardless of his innocence or guilt. Once labeled with sexual harassment, that stain never goes away. That's why I don't talk to children I meet at the supermarket, malls, etc. Only those of my friends. The risk of even being accused something is too high in this day and age.

As for the compensation package, I think that depends. I do think that giving him any severance package is premature until all the investigations are complete. To be honest, $12 million (and a reported $16 million in options) actually sounds a little low for a departing exec. We hear stories where other execs get far more after leaving a company in ruins.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Am I understanding you correctly? You're saying that if he was unhappy with his family, etc., it justifies him cheating on his wife? Are you serious? And are you married?
I am stating that I am not interested to judge anybody personal life without knowing all the facts; btw no, I am a happily divorced epicurean.

On the other hand, and I am not surprised, I see that there is no shortage of Judge Roy Bean emulators......

Last edited by Fritzly; 08-09-2010 at 03:44 AM..

Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch Tan View Post

As for the compensation package, I think that depends. I do think that giving him any severance package is premature until all the investigations are complete. To be honest, $12 million (and a reported $16 million in options) actually sounds a little low for a departing exec. We hear stories where other execs get far more after leaving a company in ruins.
Indeed. Look at Carly Fiorina: she was like a Biblical plague for HP, still she left with more than $ 40 millions....

Old 08-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
I am stating that I am not interested to judge anybody personal life without knowing all the facts...
Well, since you're into facts, here are a few from my perspective as a married man with a kid: marriage vows are a commitment. A life-long commitment. No one gets married with vows that say "I promise to love you as long as it's convenient and easy, and only until I find someone that I like better." When someone makes a vow, it should be a serious thing. If someone doesn't want to be married any longer, they should get divorced, and only then pursue other relationships. Pursuing a relationship while still married is an immoral act; it violates the commitment that person made, and their integrity.

There are certainly legitimate reasons why someone should leave their husband/wife (abuse, etc.), but I can't think of a single one that would allow for infidelity. It amounts to dishonesty and impatience on the part of the person committing the adultery; if you want to sleep with your secretary, go tell your wife you're leaving her, and why. Anything less is cowardice in the highest degree.

Quote:
On the other hand, and I am not surprised, I see that there is no shortage of Judge Roy Bean emulators......
What a delightfully obscure reference - I had to look that one up. I take it you mean how we're all assuming he's guilty? In my view, the fact that he's stepping down rather than fighting it says a great deal about the veracity of the claims. Perhaps that's not entirely fair on my part, but in my opinion innocent people fight to defend themselves. Since it looks like it's being settled out of court, we'll probably never know the truth.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

Quote:
What a delightfully obscure reference - I had to look that one up. I take it you mean how we're all assuming he's guilty? In my view, the fact that he's stepping down rather than fighting it says a great deal about the veracity of the claims. Perhaps that's not entirely fair on my part, but in my opinion innocent people fight to defend themselves. Since it looks like it's being settled out of court, we'll probably never know the truth.
The latest news from the other side of the camp is that there was no affair.

Jodie Fisher's Statement

So it seems as if the issue was that he was using company money to cover dinners, etc. and not properly reporting it. Still a bad thing. As for fighting the good fight, it depends. With the stain of accusation pointed towards him, it might be best for him to step down as even if he clears his name, it will forever be mud.

As for your philosophy about adultery, I agree. A marriage is a commitment and unless there is an agreement by both parties about outside activities, if you want to play the field, you should end your marriage first. It may not be easy, but it is fair to your partner.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:

What a delightfully obscure reference - I had to look that one up. .

You never watched "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean"?
It was a great movie, if I remeber correctly it came out in 1972/3, the director was John Huston and Paul Newman was at his best in the role of the judge. If you have a chance rent it; it is really good. :-)