Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Notification Types In Windows Phone 7

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/2010/07...-3-flavors.html

"Push Notification is going to play a important role in WP7 and according to the recently published UI Design and Interaction Guide for Windows Phone 7 v2.0 there will be 3 types of Push Notification on windows phone 7. "

The three types of notifications WP7 will be:

• Tile notifications
  • Toast notifications
  • Raw notifications

The most interesting is the toast notification. Unlike in WinMo 5-6, the toast in WP7 won't disrupt your work flow. It only shows up in the task bar. This is a welcome change from 6.x where a text will totally disrupt you, and a multi-part text will make you want to throw your phone against the wall if it comes in while you are working on something.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I am somewhat confused by the statement that a text message can "totally disrupt" workflow. Hasn't there always - and by 'always' I mean since PPC 2000 or whatever we're supposed to call it - been the option of toggling various message notification options? And since I started using WM6 (skipped WM5, so not sure on that front) on a phone (O2 Atom was my first PPC phone) there has certainly been an option in Settings > Sounds & Notifications, where I've been able to un-check the 'Display message on screen' box after scrolling down to, and highlighting, 'Messaging: New text message.'

So, um... Windows Phone 7 somehow improves on this rather easy and sensible user-defined option? As it sits for me, using WM6.5.3, this option remains and I continue to un-check the pop-up notification, while leaving an audible notification enabled so I can learn of text message arrivals (and a few other sorts of messages/events) without interruption of my workflow on the device. While I realise that WM6.5.3 is hardly mainstream, owing primarily to Microsoft's stubborn, one might even say idiotic, reluctance to distribute this rather amazingly improved OS version for over a year, it seems a little disingenuous to imply that WP7 is somehow 'new' in offering this kind of user control. Or perhaps it is simply that by default, WP7 does not pop up a message, taking it out of the realm of user-control, and into the realm of Microsoft-control? If that's the case, I certainly hope for user's sakes that they leave in the option of allowing a pop-up, for those who really like that sort of notification!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Ed Hansberry

You are right about the notification. The thing is I like the popup for texts (I rarely get them - a few per day at most) but just before I had written this post, I was trying to update a spreadsheet on my phone and I got a 3 part text in, one every 5 seconds, and it totally hosed me on getting anything done, including causing me to overwrite a cell in the spreadsheet trying to dismiss the alert.

Another factor is I have an HTC Touch Pro from Verizon and HTC has totally screwed with the notifications on this device, so honestly, I am not sure how much of my frustration is with WinMo 6.1 or with HTC's TouchFlo 3d, which I mostly like except for their proprietary notification system. I'd kill to turn that piece off.

I am looking forward to WP7 than if for no other reason, MS is seriously curtailing the abilty to add third party UI's from the manufacturer. I know HTC is looking at adding Sense, but it seems it will not be so up front and in your face like TouchFlo is. And hopefully, it can be disabled.

Truth is, the only thing about TouchFlo 3D I like is the finger flicking. If it weren't for that, I'd turn it off.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
... I am not sure how much of my frustration is with WinMo 6.1 or with HTC's TouchFlo 3d, which I mostly like except for their proprietary notification system. I'd kill to turn that piece off.

I am looking forward to WP7 than if for no other reason, MS is seriously curtailing the abilty to add third party UI's from the manufacturer. I know HTC is looking at adding Sense, but it seems it will not be so up front and in your face like TouchFlo is. And hopefully, it can be disabled.

Truth is, the only thing about TouchFlo 3D I like is the finger flicking. If it weren't for that, I'd turn it off.
You'd 'kill' but you wouldn't install a custom-cooked ROM which eliminates the annoying, system-hogging elements of TouchFlo? I've used HTC's TouchFlo 3D for about an hour, once. Then I found a better, trimmer version of WM on xda-dev and installed that. Haven't been frustrated with that nonsense since. SPB does a better job if one wishes to use a fancy finger-flicking Today interface. With WM6.5.3, finger-flicking is global anyway, with or without any TouchFlo 3D or Manila nonsense running. One can install the 3D menus or whatever independently if one wishes, over a custom ROM. I choose to run HTC's menu enhancements, a pair of tiny CAB files which enable enlarged, finger-friendly menus in most applications, but not in those which have over-riding menu interfaces of some sorts. For the most part though it's dead easy to use the phone one handed with this minor installation, which some wizard or other extracted from HTC's stuff and made available on xda-dev for any who want it. But if you'd rather kill for this... or wait for WP7... well, that's your call.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
You'd 'kill' but you wouldn't install a custom-cooked ROM
Yeah, I have a thing about using illegally modified software of any kind. I just don't do it. I suffer whatever consequences that causes me. I accept that.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Illegal, probably. But immoral, I rather doubt. My logic in this is, in my opinion at least, somewhat simple. HTC and other OEMs usually do not want to tweak and release, free or for profit, Microsoft's WM OS upgrades, because of various complexities in market-think and user base. In the main I think that logic can be reduced to a formula, where they balance user's eagerness for new OS features against the likelihood of (current) users likely to upgrade if such work is done by their in-house developers per each device, as compared to the numbers of consumers willing to purchase new devices in order to access these features. The cynicism runs essentially along the same lines as that of automotive manufacturer's actuarial tables, as these impact recalls when serious failings come to light. The Saturn bursting into flames many hours after being parked, for instance, because of a faulty part costing about $2, and about $30 to replace. It took quite a few deaths due to home fires before the accountants relented and acknowledged responsibility, offering only then to settle up with the victim's families, and to recall the several hundred thousand vehicles affected. Witness the several years it took more recently for Toyota to begin taking responsibility for a similarly silly mistake. Of course our phones don't usually end up killing us (except for the odd exploding battery I guess, and then it's usually just burns, not fatal). But what I refer to is the generalised corporate reluctance to offer something, when profit is to be made by following a less open path to consumers.

So in the case of xda-developers offering, for free, customised and often vastly improved versions of Microsoft's latest builds, leaked somewhere along the pipeline between Redmond and these same corporations, we see individual volunteers (some accept PayPal donations for their work, some don't, so far as I know none insist upon payment for their often hundreds of hours of expert work) offering what the OEMs are not willing to offer; stable, usually improved operation of the devices sold by those OEMs. This saves those of us with relatively new devices from having to junk them in order to get the odd new feature, saving us hundreds of dollars in the process. Of course most of those getting ROM versions from xda-developers would only too gladly pay for OS releases from the big makers, as these would usually assure us of avoiding the sometimes-risky releases from individual volunteers. Compaq demonstrated this nicely many years ago, with their device upgrade CDs selling for about $30 and being gobbled up whenever they came out. HP did the same for a little while after incorporating Compaq device support. Even relatively little player Casio offered the odd partial upgrade while in the game with MIPS devices, and a full upgrade once they offered an ARM device.

I also suggest is also that Microsoft benefits, as in using these 'illegal' ROM versions and then reporting any glitches in the forums (and believe me, it's rare to see such abundant and often accurate beta reporting on ANY software as there is in those forums), Microsoft has, if they like, free access to a horde of testers. Of course it's anyone's guess as to whether they even bother. For many of the more popular devices, new builds are generated by MS several times per month. Almost NONE of these make it to consumers by legal routes, and the few that do leave countless other consumers with the 'wrong' phones stranded, often running WM6.0 more than 3 years after it was initially released at retail.

So what annoys me about this bit of news is that what we've already had, if we wanted it, for years, Microsoft and its partners have re-packaged as 'new' with WP7, and through their complicit withholding of access to these packages, they are attempting to muscle consumers into buying, for hundreds of dollars, what they might have had for a fraction of that. Result? A portion of their user-base is alienated, and the bulk is over-charged for what amount to very modest gains, if any. Further, Microsoft has taken away several core operation functionalities as we've seen discussed repeatedly on these pages. So... less is more? Shades of Palm-think it seems, from back in the good old days when users didn't 'need' anything which Palm in their infinite wisdom didn't feel like doing, or couldn't do. What's next, black and white screens? We've already seen the evapouration of multi-tasking, basic editing functions, a tangible file system, card slots, and most buttons. Perhaps changeable batteries are also bad for consumers, a la Apple?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Yeah, I have a thing about using illegally modified software of any kind. I just don't do it. I suffer whatever consequences that causes me. I accept that.
Try to install Cookie's Home Tab; it works on top of Touch Flo, it is light years better that it..... and it is free. I made a donation of course but it is completely optional.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Illegal, probably. But immoral, I rather doubt.
In very few cases are things illegal but not immoral, and I'd say even fewer when it comes to software licenses. As I said, i make that choice.

Fritzly, thanks. I'll check it out. Not sure about putting something else on top of TF3D though. VZ handicapped this device by reducing RAM vs the non-Verizon Touch Pro's.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Having spent a few thousands of hours helping over one hundred developers test their software over the past ten years, reporting bugs, suggesting features, I am somewhat conversant in the level of commitment and the volume of work it takes to develop any sort of program, especially so with anything which works well and allows complex functionality. Many of these have been freeware softwares, many others shareware. I earned a spot as a Resco MVP thanks to my extensive reporting back to them in the years following an initial purchase of one of their early 'suites' of titles. Similarly I receive Softmaker titles gratis, thanks to the same sort of commitment on my part. My efforts have been small compared to the programmers' labours, but still a significant part of my life. I've had to slow down of late owing to growth in demand for my skills as a luthier, but continue to test for nPOPuk and a bit of the odd other title. These experiences have left me with what seems a decent grounding in what is appropriate and what is not, regarding software 'sharing.' Again, just my opinion.

And it seems from this perspective that Microsoft has been, and continues to be ESPECIALLY now that they have Windows Phone 7 on the near horizon, AMAZINGLY selfish with their policy regarding OS upgrades. Years ago Microsoft made a big deal of how they were on the brink of being able to release universal OS updates, device-independent in nature. This was very widely reported, and of course widely anticipated by end-users... but talk of this stuff faded as it became more and more clear that it was not going to happen. WM5 passed within that time frame, though initially it was touted as the first direct-from-MS WM OS version with global updatability. WM6 came and went... still no Windows Mobile Windows Updates. Then WM6.5... and here we sit, with WM6.5.3 in patchy release, mostly in Asia and Europe and even there on very few devices, and STILL no end-user updates on offer from MS. As I stated earlier in this particular rant, the odd OEM or cellular service provider has in fact offered updates, but these have been rare.

And yet MS continues to develop Windows Mobile. Or at least did until fairly recently. I stopped keeping track a few months back, when I settled on a very stable, happy version for my HTC Kaiser. Do I feel 'entitled' to run the latest, greatest MS OS on my phone? No, of course not. But I do feel that it would be rather nice if Microsoft had, almost 5 years after promising it, actually made good on offering this sort of update access. They lied. That's not a license for end-users to steal their intellectual property. But it does seem to take a considerable bit of guilt out of the equation for me, at least. Add to that the un-reported tens of thousands of development hours the Windows Mobile team has put into these many, many versions, the costs of their labours being passed along to consumers of course as MS does NOTHING for free, and it seems almost an imperative that such work be used.

If they won't offer me a route to pay for it, then I will obtain it by another route. My decision, and if the MS police end up knocking on my door about it, so be it. As it is, I'm still an MS MVP for a few more months, as they seem to refuse to accept my resignation. Steadfastly ignore it in fact. I am very, very upset with quite a lot of what I have discovered in my brief tenure with that award's access to some inside-ish information, and as a result want no part in the path they have chosen nor in my awarded role as a token community advertiser for the company. I like my phone well enough, and will keep using WM phones with WM6.5.3 as long as possible, but find that there is a lot wrong with that company which makes it very tempting to look elsewhere in the coming years.

Sorry Ed. I've rather hijacked your thread. No big deal I know, but not very nice either, especially when I more or less promised Jason I'd shut up about how much Windows Phone 7 angers me. Hard to resist though... still has me boiling, months after that silly conference presentation with the X-box dufus.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

Quote:
I think this is legal to do with software/firmware now based on this:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/26/tech...king/index.htm

Does this not apply?

My thoughts...fwiw:
I think the OEM should have the right to take away your warranty, but for them to try to say you can't do something with anything you bought is just stupid and should be illegal in itself.

As for notifications, it sounds like Microsoft has Apple beat but that's isn't saying much at all. iPhone notifications are terrible and I think worse than WinMo. Android has the best notification system I've seen in a mobile OS by a long shot. I think it would be interesting to hear how WinPhone 7 compares to Android as far as notifications go. One question I have, I see that WinPhone 7 has 3 types of notifications. Does it have 1 easy to get to place where those notifications can all be seen or do you actually need to look around to see any tiles that happen to have notifications on them?