Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Ballmer Reserved on WP7

http://www.informationweek.com/news...RSSfeed_IWK_All

"CEO Steve Ballmer on Thursday told financial analysts they should temper their expectations when it comes to sales prospects for Windows Phone 7, seen by many as Microsoft's last chance to become a player in the Apple- and RIM-dominated U.S. smartphone space. 'A number of you had a chance to kind of ask me a question ... which is how are we going to do,' Ballmer told the analysts, at Microsoft's Redmond, Wash. headquarters. 'And I think it's fair to say we've got a lot of work to do,' said Ballmer."

Steve B's reservations come at a time when the last possible thing Microsoft wants to do is appear too confident. It's a fine line to walk, but I think they're playing it well: "We're confident in our product, it will speak for itself, we aren't going to make wild speculations." Are you reassured, or do you long for the Ballmer of the past?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:00 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I prefer the old line "under promise and over perform" and I hope that Steve is following that maxim.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Omegajb
Pupil

How Steve still has a job is well beyond me. The last 5 years have been brutal for MS and they are losing market share like crazy.
Vista was a flop, they let their smartphones get overtaken by Apple and Google and I'm afraid WM7 will be behind the curve when it comes out.
MS needs new blood to keep up with the rest of the world.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

I tend to agree with Omegajb. I've been a big MS supporter for years. But Vista was terrible. Winmo OS is filled with bugs. Anyone remember the issues with Activesync they had? They have such talent and funding, I don't understand how they let this happen. How does one introduce a new mobile platform without such basics as cut and paste? Then MS is arrogant enough to tell me that they won't upgrade my windows mobile OS. Google isn't doing that, once they have a new OS, then it goes to everyone. Apple still bothers me because it's so closely related to iTunes, but at least the interface is functional.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

I think they're playing it right this time. Microsoft has disappointed me many times revealing new technologies, only to have those technologies never see the light of day in good time, come out less than half baked and/or canceled altogether.

To not boast about WP7 and just say "it'll be a very different experience" is much better than saying it'll blow everything outta the water. They know there's still a lot of work to be done, and if they say too much too soon it'll bite them in the

And that's the LAST thing they need.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrins View Post
...Then MS is arrogant enough to tell me that they won't upgrade my windows mobile OS. Google isn't doing that, once they have a new OS, then it goes to everyone...
I have to disagree with you on that point. I would hate to install the WP7 OS on a slower device and it run like crap, and then leave with the opinion that "WP7 is crap." MS played it right since the new OS requires a specific set of base hardware features that aren't available on even most WP6 devices today. Since the hardware of current/classic Winmo devices varies so greatly, they can't afford to run the risk of having problems making it work with various types of processors and on slower devices in general.

My big thing is the limiting the # of physical hardware buttons available on front of devices. I'm going to miss having dedicated call/hang up buttons and additional button to configure for any other frequently used app. THAT was dumb move.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

Eriq,
I'm not suggesting MS push the new OS onto inferior phones, but it should be available. Particularly if I can install WP7 and if it's too slow or cumbersome on my existing phone, then I can reinstall the WinMo 6.5.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriq Cook View Post
I have to disagree with you on that point. I would hate to install the WP7 OS on a slower device and it run like crap, and then leave with the opinion that "WP7 is crap."
Based on MS specs HTC HD2 should be perfectly capable to run WP7, besides the "three buttons" only spec of course.
I am sure that, once Wp7 will be released, we will see it ported to exisiting devices with no issues.

Honestly this is an old song that hardware manufacturers and carriers play since the appeareance of Windows Mobile.It s just greediness; do not you think that HP, Dell etc. would love to be able to say people:"Do you want to run W7? Well you ned to upgrade your hardware" etc. etc. ......

Not surprisingly WM represent 11% of the market, Windows (XP, Vista and W7)...... more than 90%. You do not need to be a CEO paid millions of $ per year to see what the strategy problem is.....

Last edited by Fritzly; 08-03-2010 at 11:35 PM..