Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

To block those super annoying Vibrant intelitext ads, I just block the domain on OpenDNS (I use them as my DNS servers). Problem solved on all my computers as long as I'm on my home network.

I'm using Safari ad blocker on my Macs, but have whitelisted Thoughts Media sites per request as these sites really are very valuable to me and I don't mind putting up with a few ads to help ensure their continued survival.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Oh yes, I hate Vibrant with a passion. In addition to being annoying, they are SO random. I think the idea behind it is nice, but goodness the implementation and execution is terrible.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Steve Jordan
Thinker

Though I understand the idea behind picking an interesting ad and clicking, the fact is that the page I'm looking at is showing me 3 ads... all for the same blackberry product!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmidgley View Post
I never had a mental policy to '1 page, 1 ad click', but I have found myself doing just that because I know it supports a site. However, if everyone started doing this--where they click an ad out of policy/habit, not out of genuine interest--wouldn't the advertisers figure this out and quit paying out for it? or reduce what they pay?
Well, to be clear, I said "1 visit, 1 click", so it's not like I click on one ad on every page I see. Also I said "I find an ad that I'm interested in and click on it" - so I don't think of it as click fraud; I glance to find an ad that's interesting to me. And if there isn't one, well, I don't click. It's not a hard and fast rule, more like a simple guideline I try to follow. And the purpose of an ad is to get a visitor to the site; if once you're there, they can't keep you there or get you to engage, well, that's their problem.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I'm curious, do all of you people who hate Vibrant Media's IntelliTXT ads so much read with your mouse cursor? As in, you move your mouse along the line as you read? I never knew people did that until I heard someone complain about IntelliTXT and when I asked why he hovered over links that are distinctly marked as ads if he knew they were ads, and he said that's how he reads.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
And the purpose of an ad is to get a visitor to the site; if once you're there, they can't keep you there or get you to engage, well, that's their problem.
Don't you hate advertisers that pay you per click but in the ad they put in big letters their 0800 number (or 1-800 in US/Canada), making people think twice before clicking, therefore making you lose the "action?" but getting the brand exposure they want?

Also in "brand exposure" some even want to pay per action (sign up, purchase) make beautiful ads, but their page is terrible. So people end up with the "branding" but don't buy anything - you spread their brand but don't get paid.

Yes, advertisers complain of click fraud, but some of them are way over the "fraud" things...

Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
I'm curious, do all of you people who hate Vibrant Media's IntelliTXT ads so much read with your mouse cursor? As in, you move your mouse along the line as you read? I never knew people did that until I heard someone complain about IntelliTXT and when I asked why he hovered over links that are distinctly marked as ads if he knew they were ads, and he said that's how he reads.
I only use the cursor to highlight a bit of text, like a bookmark, if I have to move away from my computer... Then I know where to come back to continue reading

Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm View Post
Don't you have advertisers that pay you per click but in the ad they put in big letters their 0800 number (or 1-800 in US/Canada), making people think twice before clicking, therefore making you lose the "action?" but getting the brand exposure they want?...So people end up with the "branding" but don't buy anything - you spread their brand but don't get paid.
Yes, I find that particularly frustrating as a publisher - especially since, being in Canada, I see Google AdSense 90% of the time on my sites. I see brand after brand, getting imprinted on my brain, and yet that's all being given away for free unless someone clicks. Google is making loads of money regardless, and Coke, Pepsi, BMW, etc. are getting billions of dollars in free brand advertising - and the Web site owner gets nothing at all. It's a badly broken system.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Yes, I find that particularly frustrating as a publisher - especially since, being in Canada, I see Google AdSense 90% of the time on my sites. I see brand after brand, getting imprinted on my brain, and yet that's all being given away for free unless someone clicks. Google is making loads of money regardless, and Coke, Pepsi, BMW, etc. are getting billions of dollars in free brand advertising - and the Web site owner gets nothing at all. It's a badly broken system.
Well, Google won't make money out of the AdSense text ads - they only charge if there's a click, and pay more than other networks (they published their % last month). They do charge for image ads though, like CPM but those are paid out.

In essence CPC ads are a branding thing, and the "action" (click) not always happen. But still better than CPA.

However... Google is now paying 10x less to me than three years ago.

My theory is that there are more publishers competing, so revenue is spread thin between all. Also advertisers are paying less now. And Google changed the clickable area in the text adverts, making CTR fall about 15%.

The best tihng is "local" ads, but you need to have a sales person to drive this...

And, not sure about you, but I have tried offering "subscriptions" for ad free experience - people simply prefer to install an ad block (and completely dry out any revenue we could possibly have) than pay, for example $5 a month for a very fast site with no ads or scripts at all.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Well, Google won't make money out of the AdSense text ads - they only charge if there's a click, and pay more than other networks (they published their % last month). They do charge for image ads though, like CPM but those are paid out.
Right, but you've got to know that Coke, Pepsi, and the other big brands know that if they invest $10 million into AdSense, they're probably getting $100+ million in free branding. Their dollars last longer in a CPC system, because they don't really care if people click or don't click - they just want the brand name in front of people. Because of that, they spend their money with Google versus other branding options (such as CPM ads).

Quote:
And, not sure about you, but I have tried offering "subscriptions" for ad free experience - people simply prefer to install an ad block (and completely dry out any revenue we could possibly have) than pay, for example $5 a month for a very fast site with no ads or scripts at all.
We tried it a few years back, and had some decent success from people who cared about the sites and wanted to support them, but when we made our transition from phpBB to vBulletin, it was cost-prohibitive to replicate all the features we created...it was a huge amount of development work, and it wasn't going to pay for itself.