Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Running an Ad Blocker? Please Read This

Hi there. The topic of ad blockers tends to generate some heated discussions around these parts, so I'm going to keep this really simple: if you're running an ad blocker, this is a polite request that you white-list this Web site and allow the ads to load. Here's why: I work hard to keep the ads on Thoughts Media sites non-intrusive; I say no to pop-ups, pop-unders, full-page ads, ads with sounds, etc. I know that those types of ads are irritating, and I value the readership of everyone who visits our sites. I don't want to irritate anyone with our ads.

What you may not realize about online ads is that, for the majority of them, when they simply load, that helps me pay the bills (Our server bill alone is almost $500/month.). Ad blockers stop the ads from loading, which hurts this site. You don't have to click on the ads - just letting them load helps us out a lot. If you do click on them, all the better - that helps us get better advertisers because they know you're interested in the ads. It will help us continue to provide you with the content that you come here for, and that benefits you in the end. So please white list this Web site in your ad blocker.

As a side note, I have a personal "1 visit, 1 click" policy in which, when I visit a site and read/watch some content on it, I find an ad that I'm interested in and click on it. It only takes a few seconds of my time to do, and it's my way of giving back to that site, thanking them for creating that thing I just read/watched. The Internet would be a very different place if everyone had a similar policy. Just a thought to ponder as you head into the weekend. :-)

Old 07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
mmidgley
Intellectual

I never had a mental policy to '1 page, 1 ad click', but I have found myself doing just that because I know it supports a site. However, if everyone started doing this--where they click an ad out of policy/habit, not out of genuine interest--wouldn't the advertisers figure this out and quit paying out for it? or reduce what they pay?

m.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

I always try to remember to white-list sites that I add value to my life. And even though I sold off my Axim x51v and gave my kids my last two other WiMo PDA's (iPaq 4355 and Jornada 568), I have always loved the site and definitely like reading the stuff.

Will definitely think about the click-through stuff you mentioned.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Fritzly
Sage

It seems reasonable to me....
This site, and few others, are, in fact, already in my white list.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

You mean they make a product that can block ads? Man, I gotta look into that...

Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Your ads are good about being unobtrusive. The only ones I find marginally annoying are the Google Adwords (I think that is what they are called) - the words in the posts that when your cursor goes over them an ad pops up. I usually drag the cursor along as I read, so I inadvertently pass over these and the ad pops up which does interrupt the reading experience.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Googles ads are funny though. The ads I was presented in this thread were for downloading a popup blocker. Way to go Google!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM
jeffd
Philosopher

The problem is I don't run an ad blocker, I run a javascript blocker. and while I can whitelist DMT, the ads that don't come from dmt will still be blocked, and I won't whitelist them.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

Your sites are already white listed from my computers. And, I appreciate your avoidance of pop ups and unders. I have never understood the value of pop unders. You don't see them until you close your browser, which I do when I am done with a work session. If I am ready to leave the browser or even the computer, why would I even spend a second looking at some stray window? I wouldn't mind the wallpaper ads behind your content that are now popular, but my absolute A-Number One Most Hated Ad Format Ever award are those scrolling monsters that roll my screen down and then back up when I am trying to read. Those advertisers will never, ever get a click from me. They are the electronic equivalent of those awful sticky note ads on the front pages of newspapers.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

1 visit, 1 click is a great and easy-to-implement idea. Thanks for the amazing news resource Jason. You heard the man, let's make Thoughts worth his time!