Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Massive Review of Windows Phone 7 Technical Preview

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phon...le_skin;content

"We saw the official announcement of WP7 in February at Mobile World Congress and have seen various details revealed at events since that time. I was still skeptical of the functionality and capability of the new operating system and after the recent Kin disaster I honestly wasn't expecting much from Microsoft. After using the Technical Preview version of Windows Phone 7 in an up close and personal way I can honestly say that I am quite excited for the holiday season when we will see these devices launching from Microsoft."

By now you should know that Microsoft has just sent a few thousand Windows Phone 7 technical preview devices to developers (and some reviewers) to give them a head start on getting their apps ready for the eventual launch. Matthew Miller does Microsoft's smartphone reboot justice - the video above is just one of six, in addition to over 90 images and as in depth a review of WP7 in its current state as you'll find. Microsoft has promised a lot with WP7, but the real test is the actual consumer experience. If Matthew's experience is any sample, even with a pre-beta version, then WP7 is going to be a smash hit come Christmas.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

I am really getting excited about this release! Most of the reviews are very positive. There are a couple of issues I have heard repeatedly, but so far none are show-stoppers for me.

What has been interesting is that design opinions definitely come out in the course of these previews. For example, some people love the fact that the antenna/battery bar is hidden away (I fall into this camp). Others think this should always be shown on the screen.

BTW,The lack of Twitter integration doesn't surprise me, since there is none in Windows Live in general. I'm sure Microsoft is working on this though.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Fritzly
Sage

No unified inbox
No task syncing
OneNotes syncing only in the "Cloud"
Plus the previously known "limitations"

No thank you. My WM 6.5.3 allows me to do all these things and sync via USB and desktop.
I am sure it will be a great success among business users.... (Sarcasm)

Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
No unified inbox
No task syncing
OneNotes syncing only in the "Cloud"
Plus the previously known "limitations"

No thank you. My WM 6.5.3 allows me to do all these things and sync via USB and desktop.
I am sure it will be a great success among business users.... (Sarcasm)
The unified inbox is another design choice that I'm sure was done intentionally. I happen to be one of the people who feel this will help me keep separate my work and private emails. Obviously there are some who feel otherwise. On the otherhand, I do hope they manage to get threaded messaging in before launch. Server searches are another nice feature that I hope gets added, but I can probably live without it.

What do you mean by OneNote syncing only in the cloud? Once they are in the cloud, they will sync with your desktop version of OneNote. Is there something else you were looking for here?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

Okay, I just found out what you mean (taken from the ZDNET preview):

"One of the main reasons I stuck with Windows Mobile for so long was the fantastic Exchange support. Now with Microsoft licensing Exchange ActiveSync to everyone the other smartphone players mostly all have decent Exchange experiences too. You will find that Windows Phone 7 is not as good as WM 6.5 when it comes to a complete Exchange experience, primarily due to lack of Task syncing. Also, you used to be able to sync Notes via a USB connection. The new experience is to sync OneNote notes to your cloud storage, SkyDrive, Windows Live account and actually this should be a better experience for the most part. I suppose you will have to change your habits and move from tasks to OneNote as well."

I personally prefer syncing straight to the cloud, as this allows me not to have to worry about things. Rather than having to think about connecting your PC and syncing, you can get home and immediately start working on your latest notes.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan Galvan View Post
What do you mean by OneNote syncing only in the cloud? Once they are in the cloud, they will sync with your desktop version of OneNote. Is there something else you were looking for here?
Apologies; double post.

Last edited by Fritzly; 07-19-2010 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan Galvan View Post
Of course: sync directly without the need to go "in the cloud".
I, as well as a lot of other businesses, do not want my stuff out in space!
And when I get home I can sync with our server through a secure, private and controlled by me connenction.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

That makes sense. I suppose this is a result of a "focus on consumers".

Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

I hate to say this, but after almost 9 years using Windows Mobile since the CE days, I've switched to BlackBerry. However since I can't "let go" all the way I'm now carrying my TouchPro2 along as a second phone /line and the BB as my primary (and my wife HATES it ).

I'm intrigued and DO plan on getting a WP7 device this year as soon as it's released. I don't think I'll be switching back to using a Windows device primarily again anytime soon, but I'll certainly give it a try.

Here are the cons for me:

No dedicated (red) end call/cancel button and (green) physical phone button
This will drive me crazy wishing I could end calls without staring at the screen for an icon to tap. Microsoft was very foolish to mandate the # of buttons available on devices IMO.

No task sync

I use tasks heavily

No copy/paste
I still use when copying text from email messages and social media apps

Hidden signal meter
I like seeing as much info as possible

No ability to see more than one calendar appointment from the Home screen.
This is a feature that I loved in all versions of Windows Mobile and prior. Even BlackBerry has it. The new WP7 Home screen only shows ONE upcoming appointment. Personally, I need to be able to glance at everything happening in a day without always having to open the calendar app.

No unified Inbox
What's funny is that I never experienced a unified Inbox until using the BB. And I've grown to prefer it over separate folders. I have multiple rules setup that automatically route email from different accounts into designated sub-folders, but while on the road switching back-n-forth between sub-folders took more time than I realized. I still keep my SMS box separate, but boy having email in unified Inbox (but separate on my Desktop PC) has been great.

With all of those cons, I still find WP7 attractive enough to at least have as a secondary device. I do like how the interface looks, the touch screen with physical keyboard and screen size.

I do believe Microsoft can get back into the game, but in order to really come back they need to truly devote time to make it a great platform. They can't half-a$$ it this time or they'll truly be knocked out.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Eriq Cook; 07-20-2010 at 01:18 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 AM
efjay
Theorist

I like and I'm getting it. I'm done with the hacking, flashing and almost non-existent support for WM devices from carriers and OEM's, WP7 WILL get updates going forward and most of the issues and missing features should be addressed. And since I have MS products and services it fits my usage very well. Roll on October/November!!