Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-16-2010, 02:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default eWeek Weighs In On Windows Phone 7

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and...Succeed-780713/

"Given that Windows Phone 7 represents a total reset for Microsoft-devices running its current mobile operating system, Windows Mobile 6.5, will not be able to upgrade-the company needs it to thrive if it wants to maintain a viable position in the smartphone arena, where its market share has been slowly declining over the past few quarters...Apart from Microsoft's eventual marketing strategy, Windows Phone 7 will likely need the following factors to prove a success."

Nicholas Kolakowski at eWeek.com considers what factors Windows Phone 7 needs to succeed. I don't know about you but I think the first three factors Nick comes up with are no-brainers, and the fourth I really wouldn't bet on - if you have to define what you're doing by what your competitors are up to, then you've almost certainly failed right at the outset. I think Blackberry are facing the same problem Windows Mobile had three years ago, and they have to reinvent themselves if they want maintain relevance, never mind their still massive market share. But I digress - what do you guys think? What other factors does Microsoft need to take into account to make WP7 a success?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 AM
Fritzly
Sage

"In the same spirit, a half-baked release build"

This is exactly the problem of WP7: too many things are missing: besides "cut n paste", the lack of removable storage option, an unclear method to sync with the desktop, the need to sign-in and the phone calling home whenever it boots, no Pocket Informant agenda.......