Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Microsoft Puts Apple, Google Services In Its Mobile Strategy Sights

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010...-phone-7-cloud/

"It's clear the software giant is shooting at the cloud in order to target a major weakness of Apple and a major strength of Google. Microsoft is offering consumer-oriented cloud services that Apple lacks, while providing enterprise features, such as remote wiping or locating a missing phone, that are not built in to Android."

Brian X Chen, writing for WIRED'S Gadget Lab, has provided a nice summary of some of the key focuses of Microsoft's Mobile Strategy associated with their new Windows Phone 7 platform. He points out a number of the key aspects to be aware of. These include over-the-air Wi-Fi syncing and a feature to track a missing phone, a free website for publishing content and syncing, and a Find My Phone service. On the surface, these appear to be a fairly competitive set of features heading out of the gate, but we'll have to see how they perform in actual use before we commit to a final judgment.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Exclamation smartphones, done the right way (like, copy what works for others...?)

> "enterprise features, such as remote wiping or locating a missing phone, that are not built in to Android"

Should always read up on the competition before writing about them:
"Device policy management APIs allow developers to write applications that can control security features of the device such as the remote wipe,..."
i-mate had remote wipe from their website, which was nice to have when I was using their 9502 but didn't have an exchange server.

Windows Mobile has had applications for locating a missing phone for quite some time now. I guess its nice to have built-in.

> "Microsoft will launch Windows Phone Live, a free website for Windows Phone 7 customers to automatically publish their photos and sync their contacts"

Is that the Kin effect? I never used Microsoft's contact/sms/whatever backup system--is this an enhancement to that system, or yet another duplication (with some enhancement)?

> "sum up the most frustrating thing about being an Apple customer in three little words: �Connect to iTunes`"

I'd agree there, having spoken with iPhone users. I often will intentionally wait to use wifi for a large transfer, but I like having the choice if I want to use cell carrier data.

> "Gadget Lab will soon receive a Windows Phone 7 prototype for testing. We�ll keep you posted on our impressions this week"

we'll be watching...

m.

Last edited by mmidgley; 07-15-2010 at 02:17 PM..