Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Mobility Digest Gives Your Questions To Brandon Watson

http://windowsphone.mobilitydigest....-qa/#more-12488

"Windows Phone 7 really is a different kind of phone, from the smart new design to the integrated experiences in hubs. We didn't set out to replicate what other are doing on a feature-by-feature basis, or even provide a similar customer experience. The ability to integrate your data with the phone creates a distinctly different experience than what you get with jumping in and out of discrete apps. Windows Phone 7 will certainly be a first step in a new direction, but we have no intention of releasing beta quality code into the market and calling it "done."

Brandon Watson, Microsoft's Director of Development Experience has graciously answered a number of questions posed by readers over at Mobility Digest. A few interesting bits and pieces here and there, and of course a number of "no comments"!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I was pretty disappointed in most of the responses. Didn't really say anything that the marketing group hasn't already told us. I recognized he's probably under an embargo not to say any more, but then why bother agreeing to the interview?

I found it interesting how he artfully uses doublespeak when the questions regarding developer concerns and multi-tasking come up. Unless something changes drastically in the next 90 days, I am going on record as saying that Windows Phone 7 is going to be a tremendous flop. It's quite obvious that the Microsoft's senior leadership is clueless about competing in this area. All the slick hardware in the world isn't going to overcome the obvious deficiencies in this quasi-feature phone OS.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Fritzly
Sage

I agree; I really miss the interviews with BG: the big difference with these guys is that he was able to articulate without repeting these PR statements, which are also poorly crafted.
BG was able to release very few details but at the same time transmit the feeling of a big project, scenario, future coming.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

So, all that man said is WP7 will be capable of multitasking, but you , as a consumer , ain't gonna get it. The rest , for the lock of a better word , is a B.S.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

The thing that surprised me the most was the part about the interface. Apparently developers are doing there own thing so far. The current SDK doesn't make it easy for them to give a consistent look and feel to the applications. That blew me away because I thought that was one of the main "improvements" to WinPho7. That seems like a pretty basic part of getting the amazing user experience they're talking about. If they can't even get that right they won't have a chance.

Someone, please tell me I read that wrong and you have a different interpretation.