Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Lots of Talking About (Your?) Kin

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2002...ne_7_needs.html

"With its Kin line of phones killed, Microsoft has announced that the people who worked on those devices will join the Windows Phone 7 team, incorporating Kin concepts and technology into Microsoft's upcoming mobile OS. Despite up-and-down reviews, Kin did have some redeeming qualities. Even though feature creep is a dangerous thing, here are four things that should make the leap from Kin to Windows Phone 7."

Well, it seems it takes the action of killing a product in order to stimulate some conversation about it. I've read more about the Microsoft Kin product in the last two days than the entire time during its planning and eventual release. Jared Newman of PC World has written an article that describes four of the features he'd like to see salvaged from the Kin product and moved over onto the Windows Phone 7 platform. One of those features he mentions is Kin Studio, and I have to say I agree wholeheartedly. Kin Studio is a very interesting application that really showcases the potential of cloud computing, with its syncing of photos and videos and other features. I hope we see this happen because I'd personally like to give this a try, and I would never have done so on the Kin.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Sure, talk about stuff to salvage out of Kin to put in WinPhone 7. How about salvaging some stuff out of WM6.5x, like cut/copy/and paste, a file system, multitasking, synchronization with Outlook, the ability to get apps without going through the app store.

Not hard over about that last one, but am not impressed by the current MS Mobile app store. Have apps stuck in the ready to install that will not install and I can't get rid of. Have yet to be able to get Office Mobile 2010 to install. In the meantime I've managed to upgrade the entire OS on my iPhone twice with not loss of settings or data. The MS store better get a whole lot better if it is going to be the only choice.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Do not forget removable storage........
Seriously, and this is just my personal opinion, I cannot care less about this crazyness about Facebook and publish all your life on the net.
If I wanted to see a friend of mine I meet him, if I cannot I would send him pictures.
I completely dislike these so called "social networks"; I avoid them like the plague. And all these people who are posting everything and more one day will regret it badly.............. but it will be too late.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 AM
randalllewis
Thinker

I don't think the goal here is to recreate WM6.5 on Windows Phone 7. I understand the attraction of some of the features that reportedly won't be on the first Windows Phone, but making 7 just like 6.5 doesn't really solve the basic problem the platform has does it?

There were some good ideas on the Kin platform and the author got the ones I'd like to see migrate to 7 as well. When the Kin was announced, I called it a proof of concept device. I guess you could read its early demise as evidence the concept failed. But if we see some Kin features in Windows Phone 7 (or, more likely 7.5 or 8), then the concept will not have been a total failure.

And I am still using my Kin. It works just fine thanks. And I like the fact that there is choice in the world and those who hate social media don't have to use it, while those of us who do can post and tweet away.