Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default LG to Make Comeback in the Smartphone Market

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/new.../123_68640.html

"Ahn said that his company is planning to launch more premium smartphone models this year. They are based on Google-powered Android and Microsoft's Windows Mobile, and North America and Europe will also be targeted. "We will boost our premium lineup," Ahn said in an interview. His comments came at a time when LG has become a bystander in the battle between Apple and Samsung in the important mobile segment. This produced a significant drop in operating profit in LG's mobile business to 0.9 percent in the first quarter of the year from more than 10 percent in previous quarters. The trend is widely forecast to continue with a further slide in the second quarter."

This is a big deal to LG and Microsoft - two companies who've sat on their duffs over the last few years and watch the world go by. It's interesting that Ahn Seung-kwon, the company's mobile business chief, said he didn't expect the smartphone market to mature this quickly. Other companies definitely knew. When asked when LG will produce an Iphone killer, he mentioned that a Windows Phone 7 device will be out during the second half of this year. We know the latest Iphone has had its share of bugs but it's also getting some great reviews. So now my question: Do LG and Microsoft have what it takes to market a device that will truly be an Iphone killer? I would love to think so.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
paschott
Intellectual

In a way I hope that they can come back. So far they're the only company to show off a WP7 phone with a sliding keyboard. I know they won't be the only ones to have that, but the sliding keyboard is a must for me. Of course, they'll have to overcome something of a reputation for poor quality devices first. I'd say they also have to have a reasonably priced device with a good amount of storage on it. A $400 device with 8GB of storage probably won't fly very well, especially considering that MS is allowing high speed flash cards to work as the storage. Swapping out an 8GB storage card for a 32GB storage card isn't that much of a price difference and could really help them get their brand noticed if they step up and don't try to charge through the nose for it.