Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Instaload Technology Allows Batteries to be Inserted Either Way

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/...never-insert-a/

"Microsoft Corp. today announced a new technology aimed at improving the battery installation process called InstaLoad battery installation technology, which allows users to easily install a battery without regard to positive and negative polarity. Never again will people have to squint to see battery installation diagrams - the device simply works regardless if the battery is installed positive-side-up or positive-side-down. InstaLoad is a patented battery contact design now available for license by third-party device suppliers, with companies like Duracell already lining up to endorse the technology for use in their own products."

If you've ever replaced batteries in something, only to have it not work because you got the polarity wrong, you'll appreciate Microsoft's technology here. Sometimes the ideas that seem the simplest end up having the most impact - and this could very well be one of them, as long as the licensing fees as low enough to warrant no barriers to adoption. If Duracell is already on board, that's a very good sign - the real proof will be in whether or not this makes it to products in the market over the next year or two. And hopefully it will help Microsoft's rather beat-up stock price...(says the shareholder right here).

Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Great idea, like you said, as long as Microsoft makes it inexpensive to implement. Because, although it's a pain to have to squint to see battery diagrams at my age, come on, we're still talking about something as simple as inserting batteries into a camera, toy, etc. I won't pay extra for technology that simply keeps me from looking like an idiot.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:01 PM
j2inet
Pupil
Default I'm missing something...

...I'm missing something. What is the difference between this technology and having a circuit with a bridge rectifier it? In circuit construction I'd generally add a bridge rectifier so I didn't have to worry about damaging components by connecting a power supply in reverse polarity and the diodes needed to make one are cheap (I buy in packs of 100).

Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

OK: Was going to start a rant about how we can no longer tie shoes, button buttons or snap snaps - all replaced by "hook and loop" - and then rampage on about lane assist, parking assist, electric scooters (for kids....), coffee cups that warn "Contents May Be Hot" - & so on........

... but decided NOT to do that...

... instead I'll simply wait for the first law suit filed by some joker who claims his Multi-$$ Whatever was ruined because he put the batteries in the Wrong Way - and the manufacturer was clearly Negligent for having FAILED TO IMPLEMENT InstaLoad Technology....

Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

While the system may be patented, I think it will probably turn out a lot like iPod accessories. There will be lots of high quality items that implement it and work great, and then there will be a bazillion copy cats imported from overseas that violate the patent, but people will buy anyways. Will people actually notice or care though?