Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Slate & Tablet Hardware > Dell Streak

Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Impressive Packaging on the US Dell Streak

http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/06/...ell-streak.html

"You didn't think I'd mention all of that Dell Streak beta-testing business if I didn't actually have one for myself, did you? I already unboxed the UK version of the Streak but since the packaging is so different and could end up being what the retail devices ship in, I had to do another unboxing. There's no evidence on the box that this is a pre-production unit and it doesn't seem feasible for Dell to have made these boxes just for 1,000 beta testers, but there's always a chance that the final units will be packaged differently."

Wow - compare that packaging to the UK version, and you can tell that Dell put a lot more effort into the US experience - maybe this means they'll be sold at retail in a bigger way? Lots of pictures and details over at the link, because this guy is one of 1000 beta testers in the USA, so he has the scoop. Anyone out there getting a Dell Streak? I'm rather intrigued by it myself...I like the idea of a device this size, but it really depends on the software/services that come along with it, and I'm not very familiar with anything running Android.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Andy Dixon
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I have the streak and it came in a small cardboard box which to be honest I am happy about. While that packaging looks great, it really isn't very environmentally friendly!

As a device though I love it. It's my first android device so I can't say if I am missing anything from not having version 2.2. There are rumours about when the actual upgrade to 2.2 will come, with dates from 15th july to September all quoted.

I pretty much use it as a mobile tablet and carry it everywhere. I have no need to carry my netbook, or Viliv X70 tablet anymore, this does everything I need of it which is simply to have mobile internet wherever I am. I do have an HTC HD2 provided by work but internet tasks, gaming, social connectivity, this beats it hands down simply due to the bigger screen.