Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Take a "Wordly" Break and Enjoy This New Game

http://www.wmexperts.com/marketplac...rts+(WMExperts)

"This is a highly addictive, enjoyable and often humbling game. I didn't experience any bugs, hang-ups or problems running Wordly. The only restriction with Wordly is that it is currently only available for Windows Phones with 480x800 screens. Hopefully, it will be available in the future for smaller screens and make the transition to Windows Phone 7."

George Ponder from WMExperts gave Martin Harte's new Windows Mobile word puzzle game called Wordly a test run and liked what he experienced. In fact, he commented that if you try it you might quickly be hooked. Windows Mobile users can head over to the Windows Phone Marketplace and give it a try. Note the restriction to screens with 800x480 resolutions.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Demens
Pupil

And here i have been playing it for a really long time with a 640x480 Touch Diamond.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demens View Post
And here i have been playing it for a really long time with a 640x480 Touch Diamond.
Maybe it's a slightly different version?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Demens
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Maybe it's a slightly different version?
I don't have that 5x5 setting, but other than that, it's nearly identical.

EDIT: If you actually go and read the marketplace page you can see that what went wrong:
Quote:
4x4, and 5x5 grids (currently only available on 480x800 phones)

Last edited by Demens; 06-29-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
I don't have that 5x5 setting, but other than that, it's nearly identical.
Well, here's the thing: in order to be listed in the Windows Phone Marketplace, a device needs to support 800 x 480, 320 x 240, and a couple of other resolutions. I don't think 640 x 480 is among them, because I'm not aware of any Windows Mobile 6.5 device that has a VGA screen. So the developer must have released multiple versions...and, strangely, the Windows Phone Marketplace link doesn't even work today...

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM
martin_ayton
Thinker

I bought and installed this on my T-Mo Compact V (aka HTC Touch Diamond2) and it is a very addictive time waster! However, it rarely starts up nicely - sometimes it needs a soft-reset first - and it never shuts down without an error. I'll live with that because it is fun when it runs, but I'm looking forward to some updates.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
hartem
Neophyte
Default supported resolutions

Hi alll, I'm the author of Wordly. I can see how our description has caused some confusion over the supported resolutions. The game will run on the following screens:
240x320, 320x320, 480x640, 480x800, 240x400, 320x240, 320X480

Only the 5x5 grid requires the 480x800 resolution.

Thanks!
Martin

Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Demens
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ayton View Post
I bought and installed this on my T-Mo Compact V (aka HTC Touch Diamond2) and it is a very addictive time waster! However, it rarely starts up nicely - sometimes it needs a soft-reset first - and it never shuts down without an error. I'll live with that because it is fun when it runs, but I'm looking forward to some updates.
My experience has been rock steady.

Do you manage memory on your device by yourself with task managers and stuff? It could be that some stuff refuces to close on it's own when the os reserves the memory for the newly opened wordly.

I know that for example Opera can leak memory when not closed manually but by a process, this can lead to stucking phones.

Though, i am running it on Wm 6.5.3, so cant really say of it's steady just becouse of that.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Hey, there's a similar game on Android called Wordup! It's pretty fun, but boy it's humbling alright.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 AM
martin_ayton
Thinker

Quote:
Do you manage memory on your device by yourself with task managers and stuff?
No. For once I have a pretty lean installation: I'm running HTC's UI (Manilla) which does cause problems with, for instance, Laridian's PocketBible, but I don't have MemAid or SKTools or anything like that on this device. The OS is plain WM6.5. On the whole it's the most stable experienceof WinMo I have had. The device gets a soft reset each night as part of the SPB Backup routine, and I don't suppose I have to soft reset it more than once a month apart from that.

I have Wordly installed to the storage card. I did try it on the main memory, but I couldn't get it to run at all from there which is very odd indeed. I have now moved it back to the card and, apart from a scare when it appeared not to run, it is working again now - after a fashion.

I'd like to say that the developer has been great, and is trying to resolve this. He has even offered me a refund, but I've had my money's worth, and it does work, so I won't be claiming that.

Demens, you say you are running 6.5.3, but you don't mention the device, is that also a TD2 or perhaps an HD2, the device on which the app was developed and tested?