Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Twitter Blocks New Windows Live Integration

I just received this email from Microsoft a few minutes ago:

Given that this feature just launched with the Wave 4 Windows Live Essentials Beta last week, it's quite curious that two days from now, it will stop working. Sounds like Microsoft and Twitter weren't talking to each other much leading up to this - what I can't figure out is why wouldn't Twitter want this? Twitter feeds get pulled and posted in hundreds of different ways, so why would it be a problem for Microsoft to automatically import them and share them out via Windows Live?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 PM
ptyork
Sage

This makes zero sense to me. My right nut can make API calls to the Twitter API so long as I don't exceed my hourly allotment. Facebook does this exact same thing (i.e., status changes based on tweets). This is bizarre. I wonder if it is a truly brand new policy? Perhaps starting to lean towards a way of actually making a buck or two instead of bleeding millions. I wonder if this change will trickle to FB as well?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyork View Post
This is bizarre. I wonder if it is a truly brand new policy? Perhaps starting to lean towards a way of actually making a buck or two instead of bleeding millions. I wonder if this change will trickle to FB as well?
Yeah, I agree, that's why I posted it - it seems very strange to me that Twitter would smack MS across the face like this - especially when MS isn't doing anything different than 100's of other providers out there.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyork View Post
This makes zero sense to me. My right nut can make API calls to the Twitter API so long as I don't exceed my hourly allotment.

Maybe that was the issue - Microsoft wasn't throttling their API calls, so Twitter cut 'em off? Just a guess....