Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Desktops

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Mac Mini 2010 Model Unboxing & First Impressions

Hi there. My name is Jason, and I just bought my first Mac: a Mac Mini. Here's a couple of videos about my first 18 minutes spent with it.

This is an unboxing and first impressions video of the new Mac Mini (2010 model). This Mac Mini [affiliate] has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU running at 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 320 GB hard drive (likely 5400 RPM, though Apple won't say), an 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD and CD burner), AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi (which is compatible with 802.11a/b/g), Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, gigabit Ethernet, an SD card slot, four USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire 800 port, and an NVIDIA GeForce 320M GPU. Part two after the break.

One of the things I didn't mention in the video is how power efficient the 2010 Mac Mini is: it only uses an 85 watt power supply, and that PSU is 90% efficient. Impressively, it only uses 10 watts of power at idle, and is Energy Star 5.0 compliant. I'll be testing some of these claims with a Kill-A-Watt, but I don't doubt that they're accurate. 

I'll have a quick video coming up of how easy it is to upgrade the RAM in the new Mac Mini, and in a few weeks I'll have my review video of the Mac Mini. Knowing as little about OS X as I do, I'll probably end up asking more questions than answering them, but I'll do my best!

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, his wonderful son, and his sometimes obedient dog. He still feels a little queasy about buying a Mac.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.