Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Kin Studio: This Had Better Be a Part of Windows Phone 7 Eventually

If you haven't seen the Kin Studio in detail before, check out the video above - it will give you an overview of what the Kin Studio is, and what it does. When I saw the Kin Studio for the first time in November of 2009, it was easily the most exciting thing about the Kin to me, because it represented something completely unique in the market. Apple is particularly awful at the Web and Web services, and Kin Studio represented a move by Microsoft to leverage what they do best: software design and online services. The Kin Studio is a great partner to the Kin phones, and I dearly hope that Microsoft is working hard to leverage Kin Studio into the future Windows Phone 7 ecosystem.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Interesting GUI, I like it; are all information stored online only? If so no thanks; I like choices.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Todd_KinOutreach
Neophyte
Default KIN Studio

Thanks for the great coverage of the KIN studio! I just wanted to stop by and encourage everyone to join us on our Facebook page to keep up to date on the latest KIN news and event details. Feel free to send me any questions you might have about the KIN my way, I would be more than happy to help!

Thanks,

Todd

Kin Outreach Team
[email protected]
http://www.facebook.com/KIN
http://twitter.com/KIN

Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 AM
paschott
Intellectual

I agree - it looks really interesting, but if it's all stored completely in the cloud, I think they'll have a harder time with it. Didn't MS just have that huge issue with some other service storing/backing up all of that in the cloud?

If they can work this out so it's stored locally and in the cloud, I think it looks like it could be a great addition to WP7. As long as they don't force me to use a Hotmail account as my primary e-mail address, I'd probably consider using this or at least trying it. Of course, I have a lot of concerns about that holding a master copy of my contacts. Backup copy - not too bad. Master where a server glitch causes me to lose data - not so good.

Didn't even know this was available as Kin is only Verizon and really looks too targeted at a different audience. Waiting for WP7 to see how that will pan out (and knowing that some things will have to wait).

Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

So, how would it work? MS gives you XX gigs of storage, and if you want more, then you pay extra, or you get it free for the first year, and $$ after that?
And what about privacy?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Todd_KinOutreach
Neophyte

Thanks for the great coverage of the KIN! I just wanted to stop by and encourage everyone to join us on our Facebook page to keep up to date on the latest KIN news and event details. Feel free to send me any questions you might have about the KIN my way, I would be more than happy to help!

Thanks,

Todd

Kin Outreach Team
[email protected]

Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_KinOutreach View Post
Thanks for the great coverage of the KIN! I just wanted to stop by and encourage everyone to join us on our Facebook page to keep up to date on the latest KIN news and event details. Feel free to send me any questions you might have about the KIN my way, I would be more than happy to help!

Thanks,

Todd

Kin Outreach Team
[email protected]
Do you have a Forum or a Blog?

For me Facebook is like the plague........................

Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed
Default WP7 should "rip off" a lot of Kin features

The Kin is easily, in my opinion, the coolest feature phone ever made. Unfortunately, I'm very much a smartphone guy and the Kin just doesn't let you install your own software and customize it the way I need to.

That said, the Kin Studio is a very nice use of the cloud to back-up your phone data in a way that makes that data really usable. I'd love to see something very similar for WP7, only I'd want to see it tied to SkyDrive and Windows Live. It's certainly possible technically, and I think it would be yet another way to differentiate the WP7 devices and show how revoluntionary they are compared to iPhone or Android.

I'd also like to see the Kin Spot be available on WP7, too. It's just another new, more advanced (IMHO), phone-centric UI element that would set the Microsoft phones apart from the others.

And while we're swiping all of the best bits of the Kin, how about a Kin One-style phone running WP7? I love the little hockey-puck hardware format with the vertical slide-out keyboard.