Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Slaps Cease And Desist Order On Illegal ROM Distributor

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/...-desist-letter/

HTC has sent a cease and desist letter to ROM distributor Shipped ROMs. According to Engadget, the big deal here is HTC is against the site hosting ROMs that should otherwise be available only on HTC or carrier partner servers. HTC told Engadget that they try to take a hand's off approach to modded ROMs, but they cannot tolerate the distribution of plain vanilla ROMs. Does that make sense to you?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Compusmurf
Neophyte

Yes, it actually does.

Think what if:

What if someone modified the shipped rom on the other site, some non geek user assumed it was the real version and installed it thinking it was supported by HTC?

No different than if I were electronically sharing Office 2010 on my server and just stating provide your own license. I suspect MS would shut me down too.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
Yes, it actually does.

Think what if:

What if someone modified the shipped rom on the other site, some non geek user assumed it was the real version and installed it thinking it was supported by HTC?

No different than if I were electronically sharing Office 2010 on my server and just stating provide your own license. I suspect MS would shut me down too.
I agree, but then again, MS would also shut you down if you were providing a customized build of Office 2010 as well. HTC seems to be ok with that. That is what doesn't make sense to me. If I were HTC, I wouldn't allow any of it.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

They could be concerned about rom's being presented as original/unchanged but actually containing malware or something else that's not in the original. For instance, even if the rom's are not intentionally changed it's possible the virus protection policies are not as rigid as those at HTC so someone could download a virus infected rom update.

That may be a bad example since a win32 binary won't execute on a mobile device but I think other companies have done similar things with drivers and not allowing third parties to distribute them on their web sites.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Compusmurf
Neophyte

It's hard to disallow custom stuff which would be covered under GPL (Android), but redistributing their own work on someone's website instead of directing back to HTC seems to be the issue.

Of course, they could just be testing the water for future CnD letters to see what reaction they will get.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
I agree, but then again, MS would also shut you down if you were providing a customized build of Office 2010 as well. HTC seems to be ok with that. That is what doesn't make sense to me. If I were HTC, I wouldn't allow any of it.
One of the reason for the popularity of HTC WM devices is that people are able to customize it and upgrade to the OS latest release; without this ability I would have ditched my HTC a long time ago...........

Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 AM
heliod
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
They could be concerned about rom's being presented as original/unchanged but actually containing malware or something else that's not in the original. For instance, even if the rom's are not intentionally changed it's possible the virus protection policies are not as rigid as those at HTC so someone could download a virus infected rom update.

That may be a bad example since a win32 binary won't execute on a mobile device but I think other companies have done similar things with drivers and not allowing third parties to distribute them on their web sites.
I also believe that their concern is people masquerading ROMs that contain malware as original.

On the other hand, they also want to keep custom ROM developers working since these guys have been a big help in many things; first of all, in having their products accepted by that public that wouldn't buy HTC products if they did not know they will have some way to upgrade it, second, in debugging their own ROMs. It is quite clear that someone from HTC leaks all those ROMs to these guys, and there has been a sinergy (or we could even say symbiosis) going on for years between them.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 AM
aicon
Pupil

I agree with what seems to be the majority opinion (so far).

If you download an 'official' ROM that introduces malware or other problems, then you do have a case, however tenuous, for seeking support from HTC. You don't have to mention your source if they don't ask.

On the other hand, most people who install a modded ROM are aware that it isn't supported and (almost) always voids the warranty.

As for shutting down sites hosting custom ROMs, I think heliod is on the money.