Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Live Mesh Becomes Live Sync and Drops Win Phone Support

http://www.liveside.net/main/archiv...side+(LiveSide)

"In another variation on the confusing naming theme that has become a trademark of Windows Live, Windows Live Wave 4 (or Windows Live 2011, if you prefer) introduces a newly revamped Live Mesh, which is replacing the current Live Sync (which itself was an updated FolderShare, a ByteTaxi product Microsoft bought in 2005). Live Sync 2011 is functionally quite similar to Live Mesh, minus the mobile component that never got out of limited beta. It features much improved peer-to-peer sync of your computers, a remote desktop function, and SkyDrive sync with some built-in sync capabilities for Office and Internet Explorer settings."

Live Mesh seemed to be the answer to my prayers when it was put into CTP a few years ago. Finally I had a way to sync files to my Windows Mobile device without having to hook up to a computer. Sadly the software was left in an initial state far too long and has finally become the back end for Windows Live Sync, another great program I used to use extensively (previously known as FolderShare).

Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I never could get it to work properly on my WinMo devices. it would sync ok a few times, then I'd get corruption errors in some "config" database. An uninstall/reinstall was the only way to fix that. I finally quit using it.

With WP7 coming, which has no file system like WinMo does, would a Live Mesh client even make sense?

Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
With WP7 coming, which has no file system like WinMo does, would a Live Mesh client even make sense?
iPhone OS also has no file system, yet apps like Dropbox, which can launch helper apps to edit files within the synced Dropbox, works just fine. I'd hope that Dropbox, Sugarsync, et al, will fill this void for WP7.

Of course, Android has a file system...

Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
I never could get it to work properly on my WinMo devices. it would sync ok a few times, then I'd get corruption errors in some "config" database. An uninstall/reinstall was the only way to fix that. I finally quit using it.

My understanding is that WP7 has a file system but it is hidden; when, hopefully already by V7.1, MS will make the file system available again it will surely make sense.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 AM
ptyork
Sage

Perhaps worse than the dropping of mobile support is dropping of XP and Windows Server 2003 (i.e., WHS). I do understand the need to move forward, but XP is still so prevalent in the enterprise. I have to use it at work and I do use Live Sync (nee' FolderShare) to sync my work-related stuff to work on at home.

Not supporting WHS now means that my other backup needs (i.e., syncing folders from PC's to shared folders on WHS) will rely on another solution, as well. Screwed at both ends.

Add to that the fact that Live Mesh was a horrendous resource hog (and performance dog), I'm REALLY not liking this move. This is (cool sounding) bad technology in search of a home and finding one because of the project's shepherd. And the one thing it does well (cloud storage) is gimped at 2GB (down for an already lame 5GB) with no option for paid upgrade. Gimme a break MS! 2 years in development and this is best you can come up with?

Sorry...rant mode off...