Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Windows Phone 7 Device Rumors: Sprint, AT&T, Verizon & More

http://www.wmexperts.com/htc-window...rts+(WMExperts)

"Five Windows Phone 7 devices from HTC are rumored to have found homes with various wireless carriers. Conflipper is reporting that the HTC Gold_W is headed to Sprint (the "_W" refers to "World phone" i.e. CDMA & GSM, like the Touch Pro 2), the HTC Schubert and Mondrian are headed to Telus (Mondrian going to Rogers as well), and the HTC Spark_W is being picked up by Bell Mobility and Verizon. Finally, another device, HTC Scorpio aka HTC Olympian is also going to Verizon/Bell Mobility."

Well, even though Windows Phone 7 devices are months away, it's still good to see carriers showing interest. I'm excited to see exactly what these devices look like and what they'll have to offer. Perhaps with all the hype around Windows Phone 7, and if they have a good, cool, hip advertising campaign, maybe these devices will give people that other choice. By then the latest iPhone and Android device will have been out for a while and people will be looking for something new. How many of you are at least considering a Windows Phone 7 device later this year or early next year?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Ron Hostetter
Thoughts Media Review Team

My wife will be ready for a new phone this fall. She's been wanting to go ahead and get a new one earlier, but I'm trying to convince her to wait a few more months so she can get the Windows 7 phone.

I'd love to get one, but my company provides my phone (Blackberry, bluh), so I'm hoping to live vicariously through her!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

I would have to say that when the first details of WP7 started leaking out I was more than a little disappointed by what I saw. However, as more and more details have come to light and been confirmed, I can now honestly say that I am indeed getting excited to see a final product hit the shelves.

Having said this, I will still most likely wait until there a re a few devices to choose from before I make a final decision as to which one I will make "my own".

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
John London
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via MSN to John London
Default Probably not

I need to replace my phone soon. Probably the HTC HD2. And since my apps are compatible already what is the point of waiting for a phone that will make most of them not compatible. Not a lot of incentive. The interfaces don't thrill me. I can read and don't need silly icons to dull my thinking. I guess I was on the CLI way to long in life.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Fritzly
Sage

When WP7 was first announced I was very excited about it and planning to replace my HD2 with one of the new ones as soon as they would be available on the international market, ergo SIM free and not Carrier crippled.

Regrettably when more and more details emerged about the artificial limitations MS put on the OS I dropped my plans.

For now my HD2 with WM 6.5.3 is all right. I will check the new iPhone next week because the new case is very appealing and hopefully the UI will be updated too. If I will not get an iPhone 4 my next device will be an Android one, waiting and hoping that MS will make substantial changes in the WP7.XX future releases.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Definitely!

My phone contract comes up in Sept, so I'll be a bit early for the WP7 phones and the providers around here aren't likely to have these phones in their lineups until probably December at the earliest.

HOWEVER, that said, I've never waited for the providers, so I will definitely shopping around ebay, etc. to find and play with one of these phones. I like the simlistic, straightforward look of the new interface and although I'm not much of one for facebook and twitter, I think the integration with Office and social networking will appeal to the new generation of office workers.

It will be cool to have a 'integrated' interface to my company's Sharepoint servers.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Obviously, I'm quite interested in the new Windows Phones. Over the years I've seen so many poorly designed applications, I've "weaned" myself off of basically all of them. I run a virtually stock HD2 - with the exception of a Twitter app, and a couple of other apps such as My Phone - so I have no app investment to speak of that I'm concerned about losing.

What I want most from a Windows Phone 7 device? I want it to be as snappy, responsive, and stable as my iPod Touch is. Even my HD2 with all that RAM and that 1 Ghz CPU slows down here and there, does strange stuff, and generally doesn't feel as reliable as I want it to be.

I can live with reduced functionality if Microsoft gets the other stuff right - though I'm sure I'll curse the first time I need to use copy/paste and I can't.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Obviously, I'm quite interested in the new Windows Phones. Over the years I've seen so many poorly designed applications, I've "weaned" myself off of basically all of them. I run a virtually stock HD2 - with the exception of a Twitter app, and a couple of other apps such as My Phone - so I have no app investment to speak of that I'm concerned about losing.

What I want most from a Windows Phone 7 device? I want it to be as snappy, responsive, and stable as my iPod Touch is. Even my HD2 with all that RAM and that 1 Ghz CPU slows down here and there, does strange stuff, and generally doesn't feel as reliable as I want it to be.

I can live with reduced functionality if Microsoft gets the other stuff right - though I'm sure I'll curse the first time I need to use copy/paste and I can't.
Try to disable "Sense". Personally I use the MS standard "Home screen": besides the performance improvement I never liked the HTC one so no big deal for me.
I also bet that you will first curse about being out of space: the rumored Dell WP7 phone seems to have just 8GB....

Last edited by Fritzly; 06-04-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Try to disable "Sense". Personally I use the MS standard "Home screen": besides the performance improvement I never liked the HTC one so no big deal for me.
Well, for me, the HTC Sense UI is what makes the phone finger-usable. The regular Windows Mobile UI isn't very finger-friendly...so I definitely prefer sense. I does use up a lot of resources though, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
I also bet that you will first curse about being out of space: the rumored Dell WP7 phone seems to have just 8GB....
Nah, probably not. I have an 8 GB microSD card in my HD2, and there's nothing on it. I use my Zune HD for music/photos/videos...though I will admit that once Windows Phone 7 devices can sync media with the Zune software, I just might prefer using the (presumably) bigger screen on my Windows Phone...so I guess we'll see.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Nah, probably not. I have an 8 GB microSD card in my HD2, and there's nothing on it. I use my Zune HD for music/photos/videos...though I will admit that once Windows Phone 7 devices can sync media with the Zune software, I just might prefer using the (presumably) bigger screen on my Windows Phone...so I guess we'll see.
Lucky one.... I bought a Zune years ago, yes you me and another ten people... anyway I do not remember exactly which model I got, it was the one with the biggest available space 32 Gb I guess. Unfortunately I was never able to use it in my car to play the music I stored there so even when I replaced it as my mobile phone I kept using my old iPhone 3G as an MP3 player. I read somewhere that the issue was that MS did not allow the Zune to be seen as an HD or something similar.