Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default All Windows 7 Phones Can Be Unlocked and Used By Developers

http://tweakers.mobi/nieuws/67703

Here's an interesting story from Dutch website Tweakers.mobi reporting that, according to a Microsoft spokesperson (apparently on a developer conference call). You can check out the story for yourself, translating from Dutch if you don't speak it, but the gist is this: All Windows Phone 7 devices will be able to be unlocked and used by developers. This is pretty huge as both Android and Apple developers need to either purchase dedicated devices for development, or pay quite a bit of money to be allowed to develop on device. Let's hope this is "for real", the price is the same as all other development tools for 7 to date (free) and we get more details soon!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Llew Silverhand
Pupil

Actually, you can develop on any Android device for free. I've never paid a dime to run my programs on any Android phone, not just developer phones.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llew Silverhand View Post
Actually, you can develop on any Android device for free. I've never paid a dime to run my programs on any Android phone, not just developer phones.
The same applies to developing for iPhone OS. Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch can be used for development. Registration as an Apple Developer is free, and that gets you access to Xcode, the iPhone SDK, and related technical resources. It's only if you choose to enrol in the iPhone Developer Program in order to release apps in the App Store that you need to pay $99 USD per year, but that's not dissimilar to the policies put in place for the Windows Marketplace for Mobile.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://tweakers.mobi/nieuws/67703' target='_blank'>http://tweakers.mobi/nieuws/67703</a><br /><br /></div><p>: All Windows Phone 7 devices will be able to be unlocked </p>
I am confused: what "be unlocked" exactly means? Will all WP7 phones locked to a specific carrier? Or locked that you cannot change region? Or how are WP7 phones "locked"?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Thias
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
I am confused: what "be unlocked" exactly means? Will all WP7 phones locked to a specific carrier? Or locked that you cannot change region? Or how are WP7 phones "locked"?
I think this means, that developers are allowed to avoid the restrictions of WP7. for example

Quote:
No true multi-tasking, except for special hub apps like Pandora.
No file system � apps can only access their own directory.
http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=14342
But this is just an assumption ... I loved Windows Mobile 6.x, but I won't buy/ develop a WP7 phone! I will switch to Android ... Windows Mobile/Phone is going to die

Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
I was confused by their use of the term "unlock" as well, but this bit of news offers some clarity.

It has nothing to do with carrier locking. All it does is allow you to use a device for development and be able to load applications directly from development tools, � la B&R and ad-hoc installations in iOS.

Personally, however, I feel that the three-device limit is weak, especially when you consider the importance of on-device testing and how many variants of WP7 phones there will be in the market. Microsoft really ought to raise the quota. If Apple can give developers the ability to register 100 devices per year, what's stopping Microsoft?