Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Nimbuzz Kills Windows Mobile Support (For Now)

http://blog.nimbuzz.com/2010/06/02/...windows-mobile/

"The reason for this decision was simple: due to platform limitations the application was not delivering a great mobile experience like on all the other mobile operating systems. As you might have read in the news Microsoft is also stepping away from this platform and its limitations. At the moment they are fine tuning the windows phone 7 platform , which promises a completely new look and great jump forwards when it comes to usability. And to answer your next question: yes, we are looking into the possibility of supporting Windows phone 7 in the future."

OK, you can quit the jokes about WM not being available for download. Nimbuzz is a social media aggregator as well as a VOIP client, allowing you to chat, IM through various platforms, use Facebook and Myspace, all within a single client. Sounds good, but with WP7 and it's social media integration around the corner, Nimbuzz have cut their losses and are playing the waiting game. Absolutely logical, but not so nice if you're already tied into their WM client. Support will continue until the end of 2010, but after that you're sadly on your own. Anybody out there using Nimbuzz on Windows Mobile?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Never even had heard of them. I use the Microsoft Facebook client, Twikini and Microsoft Windows Live for those social interactions. All free or close to, Twikini is really cheap).

Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
tabi13
Pupil

This is REALLY upsetting. I am a fan and user of WM for a LONG time and its distressing to see the trend. First skype and now nimbuzz!
I am a Nimbuzz user (on WM) and think it works just great (on my Touch HD). MUCH better than on some S60 phones!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 AM
Fritzly
Sage

I am not an expert in this field but my understanding is that WP7 cannot handle true VoIP. The networking APIs of the device only allow the use of HTTP, which is too slow. And this is the reason why Skype as well as Nimbuzz have ditched it; at least until 7.XX will be released.....

Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
tropolite
Neophyte

I only just found out about NimBuzz today and istalled it on my Omnia II running WM 6.5.3 - I thought 'Great! Finally found a better alternative than Fring (as this,I heard, was being suspended from future development for WM too). But now I just read that NimBuzz is pulling up the tent pegs too.

I understand it if we were still toying around with WM 6.1 but with the development of WM 6.5.x OS it has much more potential.

This Sux...