Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Ballmer: Windows Phone 7 devices by Christmas?

http://www.wmexperts.com/ballmer-wi...rts+(WMExperts)

"We suppose this isn't really news if they do "deliver" by Christmas, after all that is still the Holiday season. But we can't help but wish it was more October-ish? And to throw in a zinger, he also reportedly said this: 'One of our competitors seems a little confused, has come out with two operating systems that I cannot tell the difference between.' Ahem, not sure if he should be throwing stones on such a day as this one, but okay."

Hmm, could it really be that we have to wait until December? Windows Phone 7 needs to be out now. Seven more months is a very long time. I'm sure there are going to be several Android additions by then and of course Apple has their new OS and device in about a month. We're probably going to see many tablet style computers before 2010 is over (none from MS of course). It just seems like Microsoft has jumped on the back of a turtle and doesn't seem to realize the urgency to get something out soon. Do you agree with me? Can Microsoft afford to wait another seven months?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Microsoft's never been one to iterate fast, and their team isn't structured to do so. Getting it out faster simply isn't an option for them. Do they need to change the model? Absolutely. Will they after this release? I suppose time will tell. Their big problem right now is to capture mindshare. No one is talking about Windows Mobile/Windows Phone except the enthusiast sites.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:29 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
No one is talking about Windows Mobile/Windows Phone except the enthusiast sites.
And aren't many of them bashing the lack of true multi-tasking, cut/copy/paste, and no backward compatibility?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Christmas 2010... or 2011... doesn't much matter. It's a) forever from now in tech-marketing terms, with Apple and all the Android folks busily gobbling up 'mindshare' all the while, piling up the millions of units in sales, and b), it's an iPhone-wannabe OS, which isn't as slick as an iPhone in any of the demos I've seen. So? They'll sell a few. Maybe a few million. Eventually. Is there any perception out among the intertubes that serious numbers of phone users care enough to worry about release dates on this stinker? I see a bit of fussing here and there in a few forums, but wouldn't exactly call it buzz.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Omegajb
Pupil

I vote Windows 7 as having the worst home screen ever. What not just put a flippin DOS prompt?

Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegajb View Post
I vote Windows 7 as having the worst home screen ever. What not just put a flippin DOS prompt?
Oh come on, the worst ever? Regardless of the market success, looked at an iPhone home screen lately? There is absolutely no worthwhile info on it. But then, we may not have the same idea on what is a good home screen. I think it is one that displays things that are important to me, to see at a glance, laid out like I want them, that provide quick access to more depth of information. Oh, and it should be in shades of green.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
wspears868
Pupil

When the Sony-Ericsson X1a was first announced, it was a must-have phone. But it took about a year to get the phone shipped after the announcement. By that time, there were several phones out that were at least close to the capability of the X1a (and a heck of alot cheaper). So I am not sure that the X1a was a success.

Microsoft seems to be following (at best) a similar trail. I have been buying Microsoft devices since the HP LX95 (may have bought earlier devices but can't remember their names). At present I am seriously considering going the Android route because of MS's historical issues with getting software upgrades for their devices. I know that that is not totally fair, but they did pass on the responsibility for upgrades to the telecoms. That means to me that MS is ultimately responsible since they delegated the responsibility. At least now MS is taking this responsibility back.

However, I feel it is too little, too late. Given their snail-like pace in upgrading their software, by the time December 2010 arrives, the MS software will be hopelessly out of date (Windows mobile 7 is barely current today). So I currently don't feel any pressing need to continue being faithful to MS.

Last edited by wspears868; 06-01-2010 at 02:31 PM..