Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default No WP7 Tablets!

http://www.wmexperts.com/ballmer-no...rts+(WMExperts)

"Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is in Singapore today to help promote the launch of Office 2010/Imagine Cup Awards Ceremony, nothing too surprising there.Evidently Steve took some questions from the audience and on Windows Phone 7, he reportedly had this to say: We're focused on putting Windows Phone 7 in phones, no plans for tablets."

So the source is a Twitter post (Through WMExperts), however this meshes with what I've heard about WP7 and tablets, namely that there won't be one (Since "what I've heard" is journalistic lingo for "I've heard nothing"). So we've got an iPhone OS tablet (the iPad), we've got Android tablets on the way, but we won't have a WP7 Tablet. And I don't think that's a bad thing, as WP7 is striving for something noble: A really great smartphone experience. Anyone going to miss a WP7 Tablet?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
egads
Theorist

I don't want WP7 on a phone let alone a tablet.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
I don't want WP7 on a phone let alone a tablet.
I laughed!

I guess the best we'll get from the platform is the Zune HD...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Fritzly
Sage

No, I will not miss WP7 on a Tablet at all!
First a "Real" Tablet PC is not what the iPad is and what Android is rumored to be; these two products are what Microsoft envisioned years ago with the "Mira" project, AKA "Smart Display".
The concept was way ahead of its time and the devices were indeed bulky, expensive and with a too short battery life.
What I do not understand is why MS is not resurerrecting the project taking advantage of the improved hardware available nowadays.

I have used Slate Tablet PC since they came out running the "XP Tablet" OS; granted at the beginning the experience was "bumpy" to say the least both because of the shortcoming of the OS and, a much more severe problem in my opinion, the underpowered, overpriced hardware.
Since then the entire experience has improved a lot and while there is plenty of room for improving it I would never trade my Toshiba M400 Tablet for an iPad; in fact I will soon replacing my aging TAblet with a new Lenovo, Touchscreen enabled one. Why should I give away the freedom I have with W7 for an artificial locked down option as iPad and Wp7 are is beyond my understanding.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
doogald
Oracle

If this were Steve Jobs and not Ballmer, we'd know for sure that a tablet was coming. You know that Apple is eventually going to do something based inversely on the vehemence of Jobs' stated intention not to do so.

e.g., iPad with Flash, coming fall 2011.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
If this were Steve Jobs and not Ballmer, we'd know for sure that a tablet was coming. You know that Apple is eventually going to do something based inversely on the vehemence of Jobs' stated intention not to do so.

e.g., iPad with Flash, coming fall 2011.
Normally I'd agree with you - however Jobs hatred of Adobe seems to run deeper than his love of misdirection. We'll see though - with Apple you never say never.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

Microsoft is rightly not porting Windows Phone to a tablet. A phone is more about constant communication, while tablets are more activity oriented. Besides, they already had the operating system for a tablet ready to go for a year now and they've let it wallow in the background...the Zune!

All of the necessary pieces were there; wifi, Zune software for media playback, promised apps for facebook and twitter, a simple finger friendly interface and a serviceable internet explorer with no need for a constant data connection to make it work. Just change the screen resolution and the Zune could have been the Dell Streak with a 5" screen and still pocketable.

But then again, it seems you have to check your imagination at the security desk when you go to work at Microsoft

Steve

Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Djblois
Pupil

I would much rather them advance the tablet experience in Windows. I do not want a secondary device - I want to have one device that is my laptop and my tablet together. They can do this by:

1) have a tablet interface programmed into Windows that slates would have on automatically but convertibles would change into the tablet experience when turned into tablet mode

2) work on getting the boot up speed (my tablet is already about 30 sec but I would like it even faster)

3) put better battery controls into the system ex: when the battery gets low it can change the battery controls, etc..

4) get it so switching between touch and pen mode more fluid

If they do those 4 things than the windows tablet would be much better than any iPad or android tablet.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

It seems as though they're fully copying the Apple business model, I wouldn't be surprised if they do introduce a tablet, approximately 3 years after they should've. Regardless, it doesn't matter -- at this point they couldn't put something on the market that would sell well.

Microsoft's current 'Me-Too' approach to mobility is unfortunate, it would be great to have another innovator in the marketplace -- what they are doing isn't enough to define their products as any sort of standard; lucky for them there's enough market share left over for fringe-OS devices like WP7.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 PM
alese
Philosopher

The only one that is going to miss the tablet is Microsoft.
They are allready some 3 years too late with new phone OS, and by the time they figue out that they should have a tablet and a mobile, not just phone OS it's going to be too late anyway.

For me it's not just about tablets, it's about having a mobile/home OS that can be used on many different devices, that can leverage Application and media stores. Android is allready such OS, with Google TV it will come to millions of homes and there is no reason not to use it in other devices around the home, giving Google more and better foothold into homes than any PC or XBox.
Apple is in similar position, they can use existing iPhone/iPad OS and basic hardware to build other home devices, like SetTop box, new "MacMini", maybe a Wii like console, home music player... you name it and all these devices would have same/similar UI, same app store/iTunes store/book store, would communicate with each other and lock in the user into Apple environment, feeding adverts through iAds and all built with Apple's hardware.
Potential revenues and profits for both Google and Apple are gigantic.
Also by doing this, both Google and Apple can attack the Microsoft and it's Windows "monopoly", and since Microsoft doesnt have anything to defend against it they will be ultimately the ones that missed the oportunity and made a strategic mistake, one of many under Balmer.
I guess Microsoft will remain big technlogy company, but just like IBM they just wont be relevant anymore in general public mindset.