Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Office Mobile 2010 Free For Some Windows Phone Users

http://windowsteamblog.com/Windows_...ows-phones.aspx

Microsoft has just released Office Mobile 2010 for Windows Phone devices. If you have a WinMo 6.5 device and Office is included on it, as most are, then you can upgrade for free to the new 2010 version.

Sharepoint

My understanding is it is now available in the Windows Marketplace for Mobile. It is frustrating that it is only for WinMo 6.5 users. That has only been available for six months and I'd wager that 6.5 is not even close to the majority of WinMo devices out there. That would be like Microsoft releasing Office 2010 for Windows 7 only, ignoring the sizable installed base of XP users. What about you? Are you eligible for the upgrade?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Fritzly
Sage

I just downloaded and installed; not impressed at all. I might be doing something wrong here but I cannot open OneNote docs created with Office 2010........
I hope that I am missing something and not the other way around.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:46 PM
j2inet
Pupil

I did a forced install of the beta on a 6.0 device. Some of the features work, but over all I would say it's not a good idea.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I just upgraded my Samsung Jack. I'm not sure what I'll be using if for. But if I got OneNote integration with my Hosted Exchange account I'll be happy.

I don't see a sharepoint app though.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 05-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

The Windows Phone Developer Tools CTP only supports Windows 7 and Vista. So that is one aspect where XP is not an option.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
The Windows Phone Developer Tools CTP only supports Windows 7 and Vista. So that is one aspect where XP is not an option.
The expectation there is developers should be on a fairly late OS, not one that has two successors in the market. Normal client are a different thing.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
The expectation there is developers should be on a fairly late OS, not one that has two successors in the market. Normal client are a different thing.
Very true. It was just something that I recently discovered.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I contacted 4Smartphone, my hosted exchange provider, and found out that they don't plan on upgrading existing accounts to Exchange 2010. Customers will have to open a new account and transfer their data over. Which they graciously offered their professional services for a price if you didn't want to do it manually. I'm a little disappointed. Though I can't really say what I'm missing out on.

I'm also wonder where the pictured sharepoint app is. It wasn't in my upgrade download that I know of.